Russian tortoise not eating

carroll0430

Hi, I bought a Russian tortoise a week ago. We have him in an aquarium (I know not the ideal enclosure, but we are waiting to get something new). We have the aquarium set up so that the basking spot is somewhere between 90-95 degrees, the cool spot is around 70 degrees, and I keep a light schedule of 12 hour day and 12 hour night with humidity around 40%. He just won't eat anything. We've tried various greens (kale, dandelion, romaine, spinach), carrots, peas, apples, timothy hay. He just won't eat anything yet the vet said he ate every day before we got him. What could possibly be wrong with my tortoise?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Is he walking around and being relatively active or just hiding? Are you feeding him what he ate before as far as you know? My tortoise didn't eat for a few days when I first got her either, and I was very stressed out until she did. Hang in there and I'm sure more experienced people will come along soon to give you some advice.

carroll0430

Is he walking around and being relatively active or just hiding? Are you feeding him what he ate before as far as you know? My tortoise didn't eat for a few days when I first got her either, and I was very stressed out until she did. Hang in there and I'm sure more experienced people will come along soon to give you some advice.

He walks around sometimes, but he tends to hide an awful lot.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What are you using to read the temps? If it's those disc type things that pet stores sell they are useless. Get a temp gun and a digital thermometer/humidity gauge. Home Depot has both pretty cheap. I am going to gues, beside being in a new home, that is possibly smaller then he had, or at least too small that likely the temps are not really what you think they are.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh, be sure to keep him hydrated. Soak in warm water for 20-30 minutes a day until he starts to eat and do more then hide away.

Avnt

Knoxville, Tennessee
My little russian was the same last week. I changed her light to an mvb and soaked her twice a day for an hr. Did a few baby food soaks and it seems to have worked for her