Russian tortoise not wanting to stay in encloser

Dkoplitz

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
So we let our tortoise out to see what he would do and just let him get some excerise. I live in a brand new apartment and he just loves walking around all day long. He goes out on our balcony and just sits in the sun so im not to worried about the ubv light I am more worried about the heat light. Cause once I put him back in his encloser which he too was loving he is now trying to climb out of it. I live in colorado and our apartment is usually at 55% humidity and 75 degrees. He doesnt hiss at us when we walk around him he just walks beside us and then when he needs his space he hides under our coffee table or couch (its all wood floors and he fits under everything just fine). What the hell do I do? Let him roam around freely?

Last edited:

xMario

Germany
So we let our tortoise out to see what he would do and just let him get some excerise. I live in a brand new apartment and he just loves walking around all day long. He goes out on our balcony and just sits in the sun so im not to worried about the ubv light I am more worried about the heat light. Cause once I put him back in his encloser which he too was loving he is now trying to climb out of it. I live in colorado and our apartment is usually at 55% humidity and 75 degrees. He doesnt hiss at us when we walk around him he just walks beside us and then when he needs his space he hides under our coffee table or couch (its all wood floors and he fits under everything just fine). What the hell do I do? Let him roam around freely?
Hello [emoji1]
It's not a good idea to let ur tort roam the apartment for excercise. There are many hazards and even if ur apartment is 75 the temperature at tort level and floor is colder than that.
There have been many posts on here about this topic and no matter how safe u think ur apartment is believe me it's not.
For Russian tortoises a 8x4 enclosure is recommended.
If a tortoise experiences a lot of space and then gets put back in a smaller enclosure they try to get back to the more space area.
It would be perfect if u build a 8x4 indoor enclosure and bring him outside whenever the weather allows it.

I'm not trying to be mean just wanting to help and make sure ur tort is in no danger
Pls ask as many questions as u have and if u go to species specific Russian tortoises there is a lot of posts that can help u [emoji217]

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
While it is not a good idea to let your :tort: to free roam for safety reasons, he now knows there is a big wide world and he likes it. Bigger enclosure helps or wait until he settles down. Either way no more free roam.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with the other posters. Free roaming is a recipe for disaster in horrid ways you can't even imagine. I work with a lot of vets and I've seen some stuff that would turn your stomach.

Make the enclosure large, 4x8' minimum for a Russian, and have lots of sight barriers and hiding areas. In time, he will settle in and get used to it. Also make sire to have a basking area, with or without UV.

I'd make another large enclosure out on the balcony for use in nice weather. This way, you get the best of both worlds.

Dkoplitz

Colorado
Hello
emoji1.png

It's not a good idea to let ur tort roam the apartment for excercise. There are many hazards and even if ur apartment is 75 the temperature at tort level and floor is colder than that.
There have been many posts on here about this topic and no matter how safe u think ur apartment is believe me it's not.
For Russian tortoises a 8x4 enclosure is recommended.
If a tortoise experiences a lot of space and then gets put back in a smaller enclosure they try to get back to the more space area.
It would be perfect if u build a 8x4 indoor enclosure and bring him outside whenever the weather allows it.

I'm not trying to be mean just wanting to help and make sure ur tort is in no danger
Pls ask as many questions as u have and if u go to species specific Russian tortoises there is a lot of posts that can help u
emoji217.png

Thank you for your response. I didnt think this was good a idea but I also dont like that when ever he's in his encloser he wants out. I thought maybe its just cause its getting nicer outside.

Dkoplitz

Colorado
I agree with the other posters. Free roaming is a recipe for disaster in horrid ways you can't even imagine. I work with a lot of vets and I've seen some stuff that would turn your stomach.

Make the enclosure large, 4x8' minimum for a Russian, and have lots of sight barriers and hiding areas. In time, he will settle in and get used to it. Also make sire to have a basking area, with or without UV.

I'd make another large enclosure out on the balcony for use in nice weather. This way, you get the best of both worlds.

Thank you I do not want any disater to happen at all. His encloser has the uvb light and then his basking light and his hut and usually he was relatively happy in it and would just bury himself and be great, but as of late he is scratching on the sides and trying to climb up the side and it scares me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you I do not want any disater to happen at all. His encloser has the uvb light and then his basking light and his hut and usually he was relatively happy in it and would just bury himself and be great, but as of late he is scratching on the sides and trying to climb up the side and it scares me.
What size is his enclosure? A pic will sometimes show us what is going on and give insight toward helping solve the problem. Small enclosures are frequently and incorrectly recommended by pet stores, and this sort of restlessness is often the result.

What type of UV bulb? Some of the commonly sold ones can sometimes burn their eyes. This eye pain can cause them to frantically try to escape, and/or seek refuge to hide from the burning rays.

Dkoplitz

Colorado
What size is his enclosure? A pic will sometimes show us what is going on and give insight toward helping solve the problem. Small enclosures are frequently and incorrectly recommended by pet stores, and this sort of restlessness is often the result.

What type of UV bulb? Some of the commonly sold ones can sometimes burn their eyes. This eye pain can cause them to frantically try to escape, and/or seek refuge to hide from the burning rays.

His encloser is the big plastic kids pool you get at walmart for like $9/10 from walmart. And i use a exo terra 26W uvb florescent light that has. Een in there for almost a year with no issues. But please let me know if this bad for him please and thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
His encloser is the big plastic kids pool you get at walmart for like $9/10 from walmart. And i use a exo terra 26W uvb florescent light that has. Een in there for almost a year with no issues. But please let me know if this bad for him please and thank you!
The kiddie pool sounds great. Should be enough room in that.

The bulb is exactly the type I spoke of. Cfl type UV bulbs are not effective at delivering UV, and some of them burn their eyes. These bulbs should not be used, but the stores keep selling them because people keep buying them.

The best indoor UV sources are the new HO type fluorescent tubes. I like the Arcadia brand, but I've heard good thing about the ZooMed HO bulbs too.

6strings

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
E840C148-6B01-43F7-B18E-39B24382AD4F.jpeg Here is an Arcadia HO fixture hanging over this tub. I think they are the best quality fixtures available, and they come with clips for hanging, which is nice. See lightyourreptiles.com