Tortoise continuing scratching to get out of encloser

Status
Not open for further replies.

marilyn

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Seems like my Russian Tortoise is continually scratching to get out of his encloser is this normal? His encloser is 5x5 with shelter, sand rocks to crawl on. He is outside when the whether permits it and inside on not so good days. I have only had him about a month. He is very active and eats very well. Any ideas on this subject would be appreciated.

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, California
Sounds like he's trying to dig, perhaps to bury himself. You might try giving him a hide with soil substrate, dried leaves, and/or aspen bedding underneath it so he can burrow down. Once he feels comfortable beneath some substrate, he should only occasionally scratch, rather than continuously.

marilyn

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
chelonologist said:
Sounds like he's trying to dig, perhaps to bury himself. You might try giving him a hide with soil substrate, dried leaves, and/or aspen bedding underneath it so he can burrow down. Once he feels comfortable beneath some substrate, he should only occasionally scratch, rather than continuously.

"Thank You " Sounds like good info. I will try it. Marilyn

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I had one that scratched all the time, Once I put her outside she stopped the scratching. It could be trying to bury self, it could be something else. I would go with aspen or soil, and give enough that s/he can go completely under. They are diggers and climbers. Do you have the temps and lighting right?? Hides? Is it scratching at the bottom of table or sides? Do you have an outdoor setup for him? Is s/he eating?? Sometimes it takes longer for some torts to get adjusted to a new home then others. Also is one end cooler then the other so if he is getting to hot he can go to the other end? I would start by either putting soil or aspen in as the substrate and checking the tempatures to make sure they are right. And give enough soil/aspen that they can go under I usually use 6-8" sometimes more depending on tort size. Good Luck I hope he stops the scratching.

shesdisarming

5 Year Member
jenrell23 said:
I had one that scratched all the time, Once I put her outside she stopped the scratching. It could be trying to bury self, it could be something else. I would go with aspen or soil, and give enough that s/he can go completely under. They are diggers and climbers. Do you have the temps and lighting right?? Hides? Is it scratching at the bottom of table or sides? Do you have an outdoor setup for him? Is s/he eating?? Sometimes it takes longer for some torts to get adjusted to a new home then others. Also is one end cooler then the other so if he is getting to hot he can go to the other end? I would start by either putting soil or aspen in as the substrate and checking the tempatures to make sure they are right. And give enough soil/aspen that they can go under I usually use 6-8" sometimes more depending on tort size. Good Luck I hope he stops the scratching.

Hi there, I know this is a really old post, but my russian has the same problem, all day long scratch scratch scratch. She's digging to nowhere! My question is, what sort of soil to use? I have plain ol' southern california dirt which I've read on here is pretty good, top soil or play sand. I'm not sure which one to use because the repti-sand she's in now, isnt cutting it, she wants to GO GO GO! :]

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
I just use organic soil, and Tallula digs very easily !!!!! Tallula scratches the sides of her enclosure, like she's trying to climb oout. She has more than enough space! :p I think they just scratch like that because they know there is a bigger, exciting world outside of their enclosure

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Once they come to realize the boundaries of their world, they will settle down. But you have to make sure they have a big enough enclosure. Russians have a built in sensor that tells them they have to wander far and wide to find food, because that's how it is in their home world. Food is few and far between so they are programmed to do a lot of walking around to find it. When the come to a wall they keep trying to get over it. Give him time and he'll settle down. Also, when the weather permits, get him outside. Russians are much happier outside.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.