Russian Tortoise (Outdoor only) question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rino468

5 Year Member
I am thinking about getting a russian tortoise.

I have a huge back yard and live in southern california (coldest temperature at worst is 50 degrees)

If i made an enclosure (with a bath / light ) but left it a door so it has full acess to my backyard -- would that be ok ? *We have weeds / greens / no pesticides)

We have no other pets.

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
How secure is your perimeter fence? Keep in mind that Russians are very good diggers and could dig their way under an exterior fence and escape your yard. Also keep in mind whether or not you get raccoons, cats, or other potential predators that could get into your yard and gain access to a tortoise that has free access to the entire yard.

My group of Russians are in a fully enclosed enclosure, with no access to the rest of the yard. I also have a solid bottom that prevents 'dig out'. I personally feel that there would be too many variables introduced by allowing them full access to the entire yard.

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, CA
I think as long as your secure from him digging out you're OK. Make sure you either put him in the enclosure at night or that he has some kind of borrow or something to keep him safe from predators at night

Skymall007

5 Year Member
I agree with everything said above. Not only are they great at digging, but don't underestimate their ability to climb as well. Mine has gotten out of the yard and walked all the way to the free way (we got him back and he was safe but it was very scary). I like to have an idea of where mine is at all times. They are also really good at blending in. With predators and such, it can also be scary. I have seen a cat try to get at my tort. when he was inside the sliding glass door and watching the yard. Thankfully he was safe. I would suggest they are enclosed. (The bottom being enclosed as well sounds like a good idea because of their digging).

Status
Not open for further replies.