russian tortoise question

Status
Not open for further replies.

colorz

5 Year Member
i was wondering if it is right for your tort to go to the corner and just try to dig out? All he does is sit under the heat light, eat, sleep, and dig at the corner. i have a glass tank and it looks like he just looks at his reflection then digs? just wondering if this is normal. im new to this.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi colorz:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Quite a few Russian tortoises (testudo horsfieldii) practice this behavior. They are a tortoise that is used to wandering over great distances to find food. Being put into a small container is pretty stressful to them. Can you give us some information on how you have him set up and how you care for him?

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Yep, even Russians in large enclosures try to dig out. I was told they don't like glass, a few people here told me to get my Russian out of the glass tank and into something roomier with walls he couldn't see through.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yep, if your tank is smaller, you should consider getting him up in something new. (Bookcase turned on its side with shelves removed?)
Until then, cover the bottoms sides of the tank with brown paper so he can't see out.
And no matter what, all the they do is pretty much dig, walk, bask, eat and sleep.
For some reason, we all find this fascinating! :p

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
If your tortoise appears to be digging straight at the glass or climbing the glass while on top of the substrate it is because tortoises don't really grasp the concept of glass-a clear barrier. They see what is beyond it but probably don't understand the fact that the glass is there keeping them contained. There are no solid clear natural barriers in nature.
If your tortoise is digging down into the substrate this is a natural activity, especially for Russian tortoises that are a true burrowing species which find security and protection from the elements within their burrow. In captivity very few Russian tortoises are kept in a manner that allows them to function as they would in the wild, especially indoors and in the case of being able to construct a burrow. As a minimum they should have a dark, low ceiling hiding area that is as large as possible. A long narrow tunnel will often make then feel more secure. For baby Russians I use a piece of black corrugated plastic pipe cut in half lengthwise. For adults I build wooden "tunnels".

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
This happened to me when the earth wasn't deep enough for them to bury themselves enough.

Ratchet99

5 Year Member
Mine does this but then he seems to settle in the hole hes made in the corner. He has a wooden tunnel but seems to much prefer this particular corner under a plant!

Status
Not open for further replies.