Russian tortoise self-hibernating, should I wake him up?

abbydaniel75

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and owning a Russian tortoise. I live in Minnesota and have an indoor enclosure for my tortoise. We've had unusually warm temps for October (80s) and in the past few days they just dipped down to normal fall temps. Yesterday my tortoise didn't come out at all, when for the whole month before he came out every day to eat, be active, etc. I know this inactivity is linked to our outside weather cooling, the indoor enclosure has maintained good tortoise temps and humidity. My only concern if he is hibernating himself is that I haven't cleared out his bowels of food from the previous few days. I'm wondering if I should wake him up to bathe him and let him clear out his system, then let him go back into hibernation if he wants. I am not comfortable or experienced enough to induce hibernation, but I'm ok if he wants to do that naturally by himself, just want to make sure nothing weird happens inside his body with leftover food.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and owning a Russian tortoise. I live in Minnesota and have an indoor enclosure for my tortoise. We've had unusually warm temps for October (80s) and in the past few days they just dipped down to normal fall temps. Yesterday my tortoise didn't come out at all, when for the whole month before he came out every day to eat, be active, etc. I know this inactivity is linked to our outside weather cooling, the indoor enclosure has maintained good tortoise temps and humidity. My only concern if he is hibernating himself is that I haven't cleared out his bowels of food from the previous few days. I'm wondering if I should wake him up to bathe him and let him clear out his system, then let him go back into hibernation if he wants. I am not comfortable or experienced enough to induce hibernation, but I'm ok if he wants to do that naturally by himself, just want to make sure nothing weird happens inside his body with leftover food.
Yes. Wake him up.

Welcome to the forum. I have three threads you need to read:

These will catch you up to speed with the current and correct care info. Questions and conversation are welcome! :)