russian tortoise shell?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoiseNguyen

5 Year Member
I'm new here and I just bought a RT from Petco and she seems fine, eating alright and pooping but I noticed her shell is really rough and dry looking.
and flaky? there are some paler spots on her shell. Also there are some indents on her shell and i'm just worried... help??
IMG_0469.JPGIMG_0468.JPGIMG_0474.JPGIMG_0478.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi tortoiseNguyen:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

That's just the way steppe tortoises look. The only way you're going to see one that doesn't look that way is if it is a captive born steppe tortoise. You can help the shell to look a bit more lubricated by gently scrubbing with warm water and a soft bristle brush daily. After you dry off the tortoise, massage some olive oil or mineral oil into the shell, then polish it all off with a soft cotton cloth. I don't ever leave a bunch of oil on the shell or other topicals either. In my opinion, dirt will adhere to left on oils and might cause the tortoise to over heat.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

tortoiseNguyen

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi tortoiseNguyen:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

That's just the way steppe tortoises look. The only way you're going to see one that doesn't look that way is if it is a captive born steppe tortoise. You can help the shell to look a bit more lubricated by gently scrubbing with warm water and a soft bristle brush daily. After you dry off the tortoise, massage some olive oil or mineral oil into the shell, then polish it all off with a soft cotton cloth. I don't ever leave a bunch of oil on the shell or other topicals either. In my opinion, dirt will adhere to left on oils and might cause the tortoise to over heat.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

Jayme

and i'm in WA so the weather is mostly rainy
and thanks for the advice! :)

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
Your rt loos great I think, I wish my Russians shell was as smooth as that. I also bought him from a pet store and he wasn't in as good condition

Status
Not open for further replies.