Russian tortoise substrate

sheldonrusstort

Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, Ohio
OK I've been reading over tons and tons of forums and I'm just flat out confused as to what I need to use for my Russian tortoise. He's about 4-5 years old I thought I had bought was orchid bark turns out its fir bark?!? I've read to use top soil and to mix it with coco coir brick and yea... I'm just confused now.... I want what's best for my Russian and clearly the pet store didn't know what orchid bark was and my dumb *** fell for it.. help... please?!?!?!?!

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I don't know about fir bark...it might still be fine? :/

I personally don't like bark, mulch, etc. It's too....stabby. I just can't imagine it being comfortable for the tort, especially if they are a big burrowing species like Russians or Hermann's. Diggin' on down in the substrate and getting poked with stuff doesn't sound like fun to me. BUT there are lots of people on here who do use various mulches and barks and love it.

Coco coir and soil and sphagnum moss are what I use. I like it. It's soft for my little guy to burrow in, and I think it looks nice. If he drags his lettuce places or poops outside his dish it's nice and easy to pick up off the top.

Experiment and see what you and your tort like best. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Orchid bark IS fir bark. It is mulched bark from a fir tree used to grow orchids. Anyhow...

I like this substrate for older russians. For babies I prefer coco coir. You could use coco coir for an adult too. If your yard dirt is suitable, that will work too.

Really this is a matter of preference. There are many substrates that will work just fine for a russian. Everyone will have likes and dislikes about any given substrate.

ecstasyrs90

5 Year Member
I finally tried cypress mulchm. And i agree barks and others seem to stabby. But I swore by the critter country and so does a reptile guy i know who has been doing this for 30 plus years. People hear said it is too drying and doesnt have enough moisture. Anybody have a good definative answer?

Donatello

Hi tom i am bringing my little guy home today can i use cocnut fibre (dry) or should i mist it?

Donatello

I just read the russian tortoise care sheet you reccomended :). Since i did buy dry coconut fibre how often should i mist it? Should of bought the damp block :( Also i think the care sheet said you buy your heat bulb from a hardware store. Since i am going to the pet store to return the ones i got, which heating bulb would you reccomend? Thanks for all the help.

Donatello

1391970104857.jpg1391970137490.jpg Well got these this morning guys for my russian. Pretty sure i got it right this time. His basking spot is at 90 degrees now. His enclosure is a 40 gallon tote just til next week, thats why his UVB light is big. Fits on top of the tote perfect too. Thanks for the help.:D

Attachments

• 1391970122028.jpg
    1391970122028.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator: