leopard tortoise (Substrate question)

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool
hey people,

Whats the best out of orchid bark and coco coir for a leopard? i have recently started to use orchid bark now make leopards have not eaten?

David

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I prefer coco coir for my babies. It creates a nice smooth walking surface, is easy to burrow in, easy to clean, lasts a long time, and they don't eat it. Downside is is dries out quickly, so I have to mist and wet it at least daily.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
I prefer coco coir for my babies. It creates a nice smooth walking surface, is easy to burrow in, easy to clean, lasts a long time, and they don't eat it. Downside is is dries out quickly, so I have to mist and wet it at least daily.

Hello greg, thanks for your reply i have started to use the orchid bark which has raise the humidity to a good level, i have 2 6month leopard tortoises.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I also prefer coco Coir. It is easy for them to walk on. I use 3-4 inches and water it like a plant every few days. It maintains humidity really well for me.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
I also prefer coco Coir. It is easy for them to walk on. I use 3-4 inches and water it like a plant every few days. It maintains humidity really well for me.

Hello Jodie, thanks am trying to find the best place to buy this coco coir as am in the UK, also is spring greens ok for them to eat?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Hello Jodie, thanks am trying to find the best place to buy this coco coir as am in the UK, also is spring greens ok for them to eat?
Spring greens here are ok. I don't know anything about what you might have available. I have seen people talk about rocket salad being an option there. I would look at the individual ingredients and make sure each one is good. A lot of what's available in the grocery store is ok, but not great for good nutrition. Weeds and grass are the best options. Here is a great link. Leopards don't eat as much grass as Sulcatas and even less hay, but the rest is the same.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-diet-sheet.52677/

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
Spring greens here are ok. I don't know anything about what you might have available. I have seen people talk about rocket salad being an option there. I would look at the individual ingredients and make sure each one is good. A lot of what's available in the grocery store is ok, but not great for good nutrition. Weeds and grass are the best options. Here is a great link. Leopards don't eat as much grass as Sulcatas and even less hay, but the rest is the same.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-diet-sheet.52677/

Mine won't entertain the grass or weeds but am trying to mix everything up to get a variety of foods for them, but I mainly use Kale as they don't want much else, and also they like cucumber. But I don't give them it much.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I prefer orchid bark for leopards of all ages. I find coir to be too messy for them.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
I prefer orchid bark for leopards of all ages. I find coir to be too messy for them.
So do you use just the bark and anything else? I've put some tile in to were they eat and walk

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi David as I mentioned the other night, coco coir blocks are available in the UK at Pets at Home and The Range. as well as other pet shops. (Any you use for your other torts should stock stuff like that). You then follow the instructions to soak them and the blocks expand. They also sell Orchid bark.

Shop bought food is ok as a substitute for winter, but at this time of year fresh weeds as listed on the caresheet are the best. They need fibre and nutrients that shop veg doesn't have. Cucumber has little nutritional value.

The food needs to be chopped up for babies, Mine will graze outdoor but doesn't like dried grasses etc if I just leave it for him. So I use Readigrass (about £3.50 a bag), I bought a cheap blender from Tesco and I grind the grass up to almost a powder or a bit courser then I sprinkle it onto wet food, spray it and mix it in so he eats it with his dandies, clover, plantains etc I don't have any of these growing in my garden so I have to do the leg work to go and pick them from places I know haven't been sprayed or had chemicals car fumes on them at any time even in the past.
It's not easy having leopards!

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
Hi David as I mentioned the other night, coco coir blocks are available in the UK at Pets at Home and The Range. as well as other pet shops. (Any you use for your other torts should stock stuff like that). You then follow the instructions to soak them and the blocks expand. They also sell Orchid bark.

Shop bought food is ok as a substitute for winter, but at this time of year fresh weeds as listed on the caresheet are the best. They need fibre and nutrients that shop veg doesn't have. Cucumber has little nutritional value.

The food needs to be chopped up for babies, Mine will graze outdoor but doesn't like dried grasses etc if I just leave it for him. So I use Readigrass (about £3.50 a bag), I bought a cheap blender from Tesco and I grind the grass up to almost a powder or a bit courser then I sprinkle it onto wet food, spray it and mix it in so he eats it with his dandies, clover, plantains etc I don't have any of these growing in my garden so I have to do the leg work to go and pick them from places I know haven't been sprayed or had chemicals car fumes on them at any time even in the past.
It's not easy having leopards!

Hello Lyn
I've been looking for the coco coir at my local shops but I've ordered this from Amazon, so will be here tomorrow. I've picked loads of fresh weeds as the weather is cold and wet in Liverpool today, I've heard of the readigrass. Sorry for all the questions just want the best for them. Yes there hard work but I enjoy it a lot.am trying my best to ensure I do it correct

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hello Lyn
I've been looking for the coco coir at my local shops but I've ordered this from Amazon, so will be here tomorrow. I've picked loads of fresh weeds as the weather is cold and wet in Liverpool today, I've heard of the readigrass. Sorry for all the questions just want the best for them. Yes there hard work but I enjoy it a lot.am trying my best to ensure I do it correct
No probs there's a lot of info to take in.
I can't remember if I or someone else told you about www.thetortoisetable.org.uk but that's a great place to ID weeds and find out if they are safe or toxic. It helps of you know the name to start with though.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
No probs there's a lot of info to take in.
I can't remember if I or someone else told you about www.thetortoisetable.org.uk but that's a great place to ID weeds and find out if they are safe or toxic. It helps of you know the name to start with though.

Thanks, this readigrass I presume you can buy from any pet shop? I do really appreciate the advice.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks, this readigrass I presume you can buy from any pet shop? I do really appreciate the advice.
Its quite hard to find in my area I have to travel over to next valley to a pet shop that sells it, but if you google Friendly Readigrass it does list stockists - but not all, so may be ring around pet stores to ask if they stock it to save yourself time. I like it (for my tort not myself!) because it looks like grass rather than dried hay. I am trying to persuade Lola to eat it as it comes from bag with a little soaking but still chopped up and mixed with food I know she likes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So do you use just the bark and anything else? I've put some tile in to were they eat and walk

I just use plain orchid bark with nothing mixed in. I use terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate for food and water.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
hello people sorry for the late reply, was working a nightshift, the leos been in the garden all day and haven't stopped eating :) plus i tried them with spring leaves which they love. Also Lyn I've ordered the readigrass so will try that. Next stop weed (tort food) hunting in the fields.