hard to find substrate soflo

morgandoeee

Location (City and/or State)
florida
I can't seem to find bulk orchid bark or coco coir. The cypress mulch I find is pretty sharp, I don't think it would be great for my baby leopard. I live in South Florida. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• bark.pdf
    20.5 MB · Views: 4

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm also in South Florida
Go to the Home Depot.
Enter the garden department and ask for pure Orchid bark. It'll be by the hanging baskets.
There are 2 bag sizes and it's inexpensive.
I'm sorry. I currently have no photos of it

zovick

10 Year Member!
I can't seem to find bulk orchid bark or coco coir. The cypress mulch I find is pretty sharp, I don't think it would be great for my baby leopard. I live in South Florida. Any suggestions?
You should be able to get Eucalyptus Mulch in FL. Scott's bought up the main supplier in FL a few years ago, so now nearly all the bags are Scott's product. It was my favorite substrate for 30 years or more (and it was also used exclusively by the Bronx Zoo), but since Scott's bought the eucalyptus farm, they have limited its sales to FL only. I used to buy it in Lowe's and Home Depot as well as Walmart.

I just did a quick search and nearly everything I found which is pure Eucalyptus is dyed. There is a natural one which says it is a blend of citrus and Eucalyptus. I would not have a problem using that personally since it apparently has no dyes and I believe the citrus mulch blend is fine to use.

Here is a link to the undyed Eucalyptus/citrus product: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Scotts-Florida-Select-2-cu-ft-Natural-Blend-Mulch/1000545825

If you can find the above product, I would use it in a heartbeat. You might be able to get the garden center manager in one of the stores to order some bags of it from Scott's if you can't find it readily. Maybe thy could even order some pure undyed Eucalyptus mulch. I just can't find it online at the moment.

morgandoeee

florida
I'm also in South Florida
Go to the Home Depot.
Enter the garden department and ask for pure Orchid bark. It'll be by the hanging baskets.
There are 2 bag sizes and it's inexpensive.
I'm sorry. I currently have no photos of it
I believe that Is what I bought. I attached the photo above.