Russian Tortoise threw up

Status
Not open for further replies.

wessicataylor

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I have had my Russian Tortoise, Potsie, for about a year now and she seems like she has been healthy, but lately both of my Russian tortoises have been a little lethargic, but I assumed this was because it is winter. However, Potsie just started gagging a little bit and threw up a very very small amount of stuff that looks like spit, what should I do?!?!?!?!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Do they appear to be having difficulty breathing normal? Advanced stages of respiratory infections will at a point cause foaming at the mouth and nostrils. But laborous breathing is usually noticeable first. If that does not appear to be what is happening another consideration could be poisoning. Either from their food, water or air.

If the gagging/throwing up is a one time thing I would suspect either your tortoise got something lodged in it's throat that it couldn't get down, forcing it back up or it ingested something that may have had some form of poison on it.

If it's more than a one time occurance or the foaming or bubbles are persistent you might want to seek veterinary care.

They shouldn't be any more lethargic due to seasonal change unless you're either not keeping them at active levels of temperature and light. Or you've decreased those levels from what they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.