RUSSIAN TORTOISE WITH SHELL DAMAGE

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
Here is a picture of a Russian female tortoise that I might be adopting. What could of caused this type of shell damage? Will her shell ever look somewhat normal again? If I adopt her is there anything in particular that I should do? chris - san diego.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
She likely got chewed up by a dog, it's a common cause of shell damage. It's my understanding that new shell will grown under the bone eventually, but don't take my word on it. I have no sources to site other than "I read it on the internet"

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
New keratin and bone is growing under those white patches. The white is old, dead bone that was exposed when the keratin was chewed off. The new keratin won't look like the old keratin, and he'll always have a sort of bumpy look to him, not nice and smooth like his original keratin surface, but it will be healthy and protect him just as well. The new growth takes a very long time...over a year. You will eventually start seeing those white spots starting to lift as he grows under them, and they eventually pop off.

There is no special care required. It's old damage.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
New keratin and bone is growing under those white patches. The white is old, dead bone that was exposed when the keratin was chewed off. The new keratin won't look like the old keratin, and he'll always have a sort of bumpy look to him, not nice and smooth like his original keratin surface, but it will be healthy and protect him just as well. The new growth takes a very long time...over a year. You will eventually start seeing those white spots starting to lift as he grows under them, and they eventually pop off.

There is no special care required. It's old damage.

Thank you for the information.