Russian tortoise won't eat??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TacoTheTortoise

5 Year Member
I've had my Russian for a while now. Before, she would eat almost anything you feed her! But now, she won't eat anything. She hides in her log and sleeps the day away. All she's eaten in the past week are 2 small apple slices and a small chunk of lettuce. We have her UV bulb on for 8-12hours a day, and let her roam outside when we have time. Her basking temperature is in the high 80s and the cooler side is in the 70s. If anyone has advice, it will be greatly appreciated!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your basking is not high enough. It should be around 95. Also, what else do you feed besides apples and lettuce? That isn't a great diet. Do you have water available and do you soak? What's the humidity? Give us all the diet and housing info you can.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes. If your UV source is >6 (tube fluorescent) or >12 months (MVB), replace it.
Does she get outside time (or will she soon?).

More importantly right now, the basking area (right under the light) needs to be 95f to aid digestion. If it isn't, they will stop eating.
Lower your heat source (lowest height depends on the type of bulb) or add a second smaller wattage bulb to raise the temps).

TacoTheTortoise

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Your basking is not high enough. It should be around 95. Also, what else do you feed besides apples and lettuce? That isn't a great diet. Do you have water available and do you soak? What's the humidity? Give us all the diet and housing info you can.

She gets other stuff like like kale and collards, but the only things she will touch recently are lettuce and apples! I try to soak her once a day or once every other day, but there is water available at all times.
We don't have a humidity reader, but I carry around a spray bottle of water with me and spray her enclosure whenever I feel it needs to.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Russians only need 40-60 humidity, so that sounds like you might have that okay. You do need to raise the basking temp to 95. Also, chop the greens up really tiny along with the food she does eat and mix all of it together, spritz with water. The greens will stick to the stuff she wants and she will have to eat all of it to get the good stuff. As she starts eating better, cut back on the apples and lettuce. Again, raise the basking temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.