Russian tortoise

KerrieB

Location (City and/or State)
Taunton Somerset
I've just joined this group! But was wondering if anyone had advice on my Russian tortoises nails? My three year old spends almost all of summer out doors in the sunshine,and obviously indoors in the rain,but her nails are getting really long even know she spends 6 months of the year outside on concrete and sand,but for some reason they are net getting any shorter! Should I go to a vet to have them trimmed?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
Have you had your tort for 3 years?
If you are not used to cutting nails I would let a tort vet do them and maybe they'll show you how it's done. I'm not brave to attempt mine, but thankfully they haven't needed doing for the last 4 years.

Sand isn't a good surface for torts, it's too dry for Russians and can irritate the skin and cause problems with the eyes. If it's ingested on food it can also cause the gut to become impacted which is painful and can kill torts. Too much concrete can also be too hard and affect bones, I use rubber interlocking mats to cushion any large surfaces of concrete that my tort has to walk over en route to his grassy weed patch.

This is the caresheet for Russians which is full of up to date care information and covers substrates too.

There is a lot of old information still circulating about tort care but if you follow that your tort will not just survive but thrive. Ask as many questions as you like you'll always get help.

You may also find www.thetortoisetable.org.uk useful if you haven't already found it.

KerrieB

Taunton Somerset
I only put the sand down as I wasn't happy with her being on concrete,it's also spread along wood chippings,as a substrate for her,I was thinking of asking a vet but I'm not to sure on who I could ask in my area tbh,

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I only put the sand down as I wasn't happy with her being on concrete,it's also spread along wood chippings,as a substrate for her,I was thinking of asking a vet but I'm not to sure on who I could ask in my area tbh,
Russians like moist deep substrate they can dig in - the caresheet will advise you on your best options.
If you google reptile vets in your area you may find one near by although they are few and far between and most of us have to travel out of our areas. A regular vet may be able to do nails for you but its always good to know where tort vets are for any emergencies that may arise which any other vet wouldn't know about.
The Tortoise Table I linked has a section on vets you could check.
I'm worried I will cut too short and cause bleeding.

KerrieB

Taunton Somerset
Russians like moist deep substrate they can dig in - the caresheet will advise you on your best options.
If you google reptile vets in your area you may find one near by although they are few and far between and most of us have to travel out of our areas. A regular vet may be able to do nails for you but its always good to know where tort vets are for any emergencies that may arise which any other vet wouldn't know about.
The Tortoise Table I linked has a section on vets you could check.
I'm worried I will cut too short and cause bleeding.

KerrieB

Taunton Somerset
Yeah I'm aware of this! I'm a massive fan of kamp kenan lol,but yeah I was thinking the same recently as if she was to have any major problems where could I take her? So I'm definitely going to have to research this! As she's my pride and joy! And I only want the best for her.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Deane Vets Taunton treats exotics, as does Quantock Vetinary Hospital