Russian torts

Hix2008

5 Year Member
I'm looking into getting two Russian torts. Does anybody know if buying them from Petsmart is a good idea.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
I have 14 russian tortoises all of which, I'm fairly certain, started their United States captive life at a Petco or Petsmart. These have all come to me after the “fun" of a cute tortoise wears off. Check your local craigslist and you will be fairly surprised how many need new, good homes. Many have titles such as, “I've got to get rid of this tortoise". If I were to purchase one or many russian tortoises, I'd go with helping these out first. Hope this helps with your decision.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What is NOT a good idea is getting two Russian tortoises...that is, unless you're planning to set up two completely separate habitats. Russian tortoises, in fact, most tortoises do not play nice with others. They prefer to be alone. They are territorial and will chase other tortoises out of their territory. And, because the tortoises are contained and the meeker tortoise isn't able to leave the territory, he usually stays hidden all the time, stops eating and will eventually die.

Now, if you are planning a large outdoor habitat. all bets are off. They may be able to each establish their own territory in a very large outdoor habitat.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Hix2008

5 Year Member
I have been looking at craigslist but have had no luck. I live in Bakersfield California.

Hix2008

5 Year Member
If it's not a good idea to have two together why at pet stores like petsmart have them together? Are is this only when they get to be adults they aggressive with each other.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
At the pet stores they haven't been able to establish their own territory.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I concur with Yvonne's statement 100% in regard to the space required for these tortoises. We have five acres here, and my russian yard as similar to the size of a many urban backyards. It contains lots of cover, and a favorite of mine when people come over, is to take them to this yard and say, “there are 14 tortoises in there. How many do you see?" Usual answer is,“No way" LOL.
In regard to CL, I search the “pets" and “general for sale" sections with the term tortoise.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Hix, either one tortoise or many.
I got mine from PetSmart. They lie. I was told what kind of lighting, habitat and that my Russian was captive bred.
They were wrong on all counts. It is a good thing you have found this web site - me too.
Prepare to fall in love with your Russian.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
I got my Russian from a pet store chain and was given wrong info about lighting, food and habitat.
They even asked me what the sex was.
I was told he was captive raised and I have found out this particular chain buys wild caught.
No need to encourage that if we can give a home to one that is unwanted.
Stay in touch with this web site for great info.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ. . You did great you came to the TFO . So now read up on the torts and the enclosures . Then make your dession about the tort YOU want not the dumb clerk s Idea ! They are only there to make money by selling you more then you need ! Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

WillTort2

5 Year Member
You can usually find Russians needing rehoming at a local shelter or thru Craig's list; but it may take a few months before one shows up. With Craig's list you can also search nearby towns.

Good luck.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
If you want you live in Calf. You may want to try the CTTC they are real nice people . They will help you also. .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yvonne and Cowboy Ken are spot on, as usual.
Generally, tortoises in big box pet stores have had a traumatic ride over from their native country, and are jammed together in bad circumstances. They don't feel good enough to be scrappy. Once their lives improve (I'm being optimistic), they get stronger and start to actually care about territory, food, etc.

That said, Russian tortoises are amazing, and will thrive with the right care.

Thank you for doing your research!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Here are some reality check photos of the beginning of their journey. This first is a collectors box full. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404523218.696912.jpg
When brought in they are dumped in these type holding pens. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404523269.746791.jpg

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
This is disturbing. I had an idea it was like this but to actually see it is heart wrenching.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you for posting the photos, Ken. I had a sneaking suspicion some people didn't believe me when I described these conditions.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Someplace recently I read an article that basically was saying the capture and trade of exotic animals,(threatened or otherwise) was helping to funnel money for illicit business. Such as drugs and arms/terrorism. When one compares the the natural range of the horsfield tortoise and political unrest of the area, this becomes very clear for the possibility.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hix, The pet stores are not a good example of how to do anything. The tortoises there are kept way over crowded in tiny TEMPORARY holding cages. If they start with 3 and one sells, well then they have two left in one enclosure. That is NOT how they should be housed at their permanent homes. Those russians need a large 4x8' enclosure indoors, and hopefully something even bigger outdoors. Housing tortoises, especially russian tortoises, in pairs usually results in combat, injury and sometimes death if they are not separated. And the sexes don't matter. Females will fight with each other, males will attack females, and females will attack males.

Here are some threads for you to read:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I got my Russian Tort from our local PetSmart and he's pretty healthy. Just do a lot of research on what they need and don't need. Unfortunately the pet store associates are not always accurate about what you should purchase for the tort. If you read posts from this forum, you will get tons of information and you can make a list of what you will need, I also advise to try and buy most of your supplies such as the lights, substrates, etc., from online stores such as thatpetplace.com or amazon, rather than the local Petco or PetSmart, etc., you will save so much money .