Russians and Arborvitae?

Rhlewis

Location (City and/or State)
Oxford, PA
We are very new to owning a tortoise. We got a female Russian a few days ago. We have been letting her roam around the yard and she is VERY drawn to the tall arborvitae on the border of our property. I am not sure if she is looking for shade or is interested in eating them. We have a huge willow tree I keep putting her under in case she’s looking for shade, but she keeps going back to the arborvitae. Is arborvitae toxic to tortoises if she does try to eat it?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.

I know you asked about Arborvitae, i don’t see it in TheTortoiseTable, but since it’s part of the pine family, heres what it says on pine.

• Common Name: Pine
  • Latin Name: Pinus spp.
  • Family Name: Pinaceae
The highly scented needles of the Pine contain tannins, making them quite bitter to the taste, and the whole tree contains a volatile oil which can cause mouth, throat and stomach irritation if ingested, so it isn't one to have in an area where tortoises might nibble on fallen needles. Trees and shrubs from the Pinaceae family contain the substance terpene, an extremely sticky resin which is difficult to remove without using harsh cleaning agents, and this is a good reason not to have these conifers near tortoise enclosures where the resin could get on their shells. For identification purposes, the needles of Pine are attached to the twig in bundles of 2, 3 or 5 and have a brown sheath at the base. See also Cedar and Fir.

Pine chips or shavings are sometimes sold as substrate for tortoise enclosures, but when heated they can emit highly toxic fumes and there is also a serious risk of impaction if eaten, so we advise against using them.

I hope that helps...probably likes that corner and the shade and humidity there vice the willow.

Rhlewis

Oxford, PA
Thank you! I didn’t even think to make the connection to pines! I did download the Tortoise Table app to help us determine what is ok and what is not ok to eat, but I just couldn’t find anything for Arborvitae. We will continue to keep her away from them for sure now. She’s like a naughty child because she keeps going back to them! :)

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Russians are going to go where they want to go; stubborn!

A grown tortoise knows how to get under the sun so I wouldn’t be thinking shade. If I was a tortoise, I’d go under that that plant, too. Unless it’s pruned otherwise, it’s probably denser and closer to the ground than a willow; I’d feel safer under it. I’m a tiny little animal that stays safe from predators by hiding, after all. A willow might seem pretty exposed to me...