Russians with diarrhea....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
...I just got two Russian torts from a guy who was keeping them penned in with many box turtles and feeding them iceburg lettuce and cantelope. He also fed the boxies raw hamburger and I don't think he removed the Russians when he fed the boxies. My little guys have the worst case of stinky diarreah poop ever. It is so bad I have to clean it up every 2 - 3 hours so the entire apartment does not stink.

I know the diet he fed them will cause this and I have had them less than a week. How long should I wait to see if their new diet of broad leaf and timothy hay will help clear it up before taking them to see a vet to check for parasites?

Also, I live in Irving Texas. Does anyone know of a good, inexpensive tortoise vet in the Dallas area?

lindsey

5 Year Member
Russians with diarreah....

I would take them into the vet anyways just to be sure but for the poop I would wait till you feed them a couple more times.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: Russians with diarreah....

That sounds gross (having to clean every few hours from the smell) you poor thing..not to mention what it is probably like for them!

I'm not sure how long it will take for their tanks to empty and start putting out normal BMs but maybe for the time being you can keep them on paper towels or newspaper. It can make the frequent cleaning job much easier and it would only be temporary. Do some long warm water soaks a few times a day to help them pass extra stool, too.Just a thought...

Sent from my TFOapp

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Russians with diarreah....

Russian tortoises do tend to have pretty runny/stinky poop when fed on grocery store greens. Try to get more bulk into their diet by searching for weeds outside and add weeds to the greens. I doubt Russian tortoises would eat timothy hay, and by "broad leaf" do you mean broad leaf plants and weeds, or broad leaf hay?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
RE: Russians with diarreah....

Yvonne G said:
Russian tortoises do tend to have pretty runny/stinky poop when fed on grocery store greens. Try to get more bulk into their diet by searching for weeds outside and add weeds to the greens. I doubt Russian tortoises would eat timothy hay, and by "broad leaf" do you mean broad leaf plants and weeds, or broad leaf hay?

I have them on a mixture of organic salad mix that has no spinach. I mixed in finely chopped cilantro and some parsely and some pretty finely chopped hay with calcium powder. I live in North Texas and we have had some rain so I have a pretty big patch of clover and dandelion out in my yard that I harvest for my Sulcatas and Leopards. I will get some for the Russians tomorrow. I am only feeding them what the care sheet told me to but I think they were on cantelope and iceberg for quite a long time as well as housed with box turtles...

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Laura said:
parasites can cause that as well.. take a fresh sample to the Vet and have it tested...

That was the question Laura. I have only had them three days. I was trying to see how long I should wait? The herp vet I know is in Houston, 275 miles away. That is a long drive to be told that they are waterlogged from a poor diet The appear healthy in all other ways and I have not seen any signs of worms. They are going to get a good soaking tomorrow and I am going to completly change their substrate (not an easy task as it is 7" deep in a 5 x 3 indoor pen) and put them on paper until I get a clear diagnosis. This is not going to be fun for me or them is it? :(

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Couldn't any vet send out a fecal? If the lab knows it is a tortoise sample and what parasites are specific to them, you may not have to drive that far. I would at least call around and ask. Of course treatment is a whole other thing....

Ann from CT

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
AnnV said:
Couldn't any vet send out a fecal? If the lab knows it is a tortoise sample and what parasites are specific to them, you may not have to drive that far. I would at least call around and ask. Of course treatment is a whole other thing....

Ann from CT

Excellent point and I had not thought of that...
Went right on over my head. I wonder if I was just subconsciously not wanting to gather up tortoise poop in a cup.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
If you soak your Russians you may speed up the clean out process.

And a walk outdoors is always good.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Bathing beauty time. Warm spa does wonders for the poop outta there and the pee-eww lil stinkers. Maybe add bird vitamins to the water, too. Spa therapy and bathing beauty time! : )

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
lol....I have them in the sink now. I was going to put them in a tub but thank God I did not. We have drained and refilled the sink about ten times now. I can't believe the ammount of poop in two 5" torts!!!
Oh, and they ate the hay mixed dandelion! I think the hay cleaned them out real good too!

Status
Not open for further replies.