Russians

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonaSydly

5 Year Member
Surprise! Another post about species questions!

I was getting curious about hibernation, do you HAVE to hibernate a Russian Tortoise? And if you do, will he sleep straight through that time? How long is their hibernation if they must have one?

And what about other breeds? Are there any others that have to hibernate? I don't know if I want one that hibernates if it is too much out of the year.

Thanks!

jwhite

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
west milwaukee,wi
Hibernation is not necessary for Russians. I have been keeping them for 10 years and I have never hibernated them. Also not be picky but it is different species not breeds.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
No tortoises have to brumate (hibernate) in captivity. For the species that are available for purchase in captivity that would brumate in the wild such as Russians, Hermann's, Marginateds and some Greek species, it is not necessary. The majority of people that keep those species in the U.S. prefer to keep them awake and active indoors throughout the winter months.

Generally in captivity most that are brumated artificially indoors are done so for a period of anywhere from 12-16 weeks. Outdoors in the wild most of those same species would brumate for anywhere from about 20-28 weeks, some possibly even a bit longer. Some of those same species may also go into aestivation in the summer which is somewhat like brumation only to avoid the other temperature extreme-excessive heat.

MonaSydly

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
No tortoises have to brumate (hibernate) in captivity. For the species that are available for purchase in captivity that would brumate in the wild such as Russians, Hermann's, Marginateds and some Greek species, it is not necessary. The majority of people that keep those species in the U.S. prefer to keep them awake and active indoors throughout the winter months.

Generally in captivity most that are brumated artificially indoors are done so for a period of anywhere from 12-16 weeks. Outdoors in the wild most of those same species would brumate for anywhere from about 20-28 weeks, some possibly even a bit longer. Some of those same species may also go into aestivation in the summer which is somewhat like brumation only to avoid the other temperature extreme-excessive heat.

Thank you for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.