Sad Russian Tortoise news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunter

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Woodbridge,NJ
I think my RT has MBD :( .The underbelly is very soft.I have been giving plenty of calcium and I got vitashell.If nothing works I am going to the herp vet.:(:(:(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Gunter:

I don't know if you're aware or not, so I'm going to tell you as if you DON'T know:

All the calcium in the world that you feed your tortoise through plants or supplements, just get pee'd right out if the tortoise doesn't also get good UVB from real sunshine. So if you don't have a GOOD UVB light or get the tortoise in the sun occasionally, he's not getting the calcium he needs for strong bones and shell.

Gunter

5 Year Member
Woodbridge,NJ
emysemys said:
Hi Gunter:

I don't know if you're aware or not, so I'm going to tell you as if you DON'T know:

All the calcium in the world that you feed your tortoise through plants or supplements, just get pee'd right out if the tortoise doesn't also get good UVB from real sunshine. So if you don't have a GOOD UVB light or get the tortoise in the sun occasionally, he's not getting the calcium he needs for strong bones and shell.

Really?Thats not good.The only problem is where I live its cold right now and rainy,so I can't really take her outside.May is when the heat here gets warm.April is in the 70s here so I think that will work.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I see you have it listed in your signature as a female but do you by any chance know how old it is? if it is a young one or and oldie but a goodie?
calcium won't work like stated above without access to sunlight or a good UVB bulb, do you have a light for it, since it is cold in your area right now? and if so how old is the bubl?
The reason I ask is it is unusual for an adult to go through this.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
What Yvonne and the Captain said.
You know, if there is any question, think about getting a new bulb like a Powersun MVB now. Replace your previous one, just in case it is malfunctioning.

Gunter

5 Year Member
Woodbridge,NJ
dmmj said:
I see you have it listed in your signature as a female but do you by any chance know how old it is? if it is a young one or and oldie but a goodie?
calcium won't work like stated above without access to sunlight or a good UVB bulb, do you have a light for it, since it is cold in your area right now? and if so how old is the bubl?
The reason I ask is it is unusual for an adult to go through this.

I think my RT is about 8 years olds maybe a bit less or more.The bulb is brand new only 2 weeks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What sort of bulb are you using now? The Captain is right. It is very unusual for an adult to go through this...

Status
Not open for further replies.