Safe?...Possibly Bindweed?

Wolfpackin

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
This is growing in our landscaping like...well...a weed.
It's very invasive and gets tangled up in all the ornamental and landscaping plants in our beds, we are Zone 3/4.

I'm thinking this might be Field Bindweed Convolvulus arvensis and not Morning Glory.
Anyone know for sure?

Weed1.JPG Weed2.JPG Weed3.JPG

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Yes, it’s bindweed, safe in moderation. It was the first weed I ever got my tortoise to eat. :) She’s not interested in the flowers but loves to rip the leaves off the stem.

Morning glories have much larger flowers and leaves and the flowers tend to be a very obvious shade of intense purple or dark pink. If you saw them side to side you would have no question which was which, they are that different.

Your bindweed has some little stripes of pink. Bindweed can also be plain white or they have a faint purple stripe, similar to your pink one.

I don’t find that bindweed keeps as well in the fridge as some other weeds so I try to feed it within a few days. My tortoise would surely eat it later than that if she had to but she’s outside and never really *has* to eat anything I give her. Spoiled! :oops:

Bambam1989

East Texas
I agree that it's bindweed.
My tort will also eat the leaves. I have never offered the flowers because I rip them out of the ground as soon as I find them. Slightly invasive in my area.