Safflower for sulcata?

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
As a free gift with my Hibiscus Moscheutos seeds (thanks for the tip, @Oxalis ) I received safflower seeds. I know nothing about them except what I looked up so far on the tortoise table which says to feed sparingly but that there is little information on which to base that assessment.
Does anyone else grow or feed safflower as a part of a varied diet? Do your torts like it?
You know me, I am always looking for more variety for the Mighty (spoiled) Odin!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't have the answer for you, but I have sprouted out handfuls of bird seed and fed that to my tortoises. Safflower seeds were part of those mixes. Does this help at all?

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I don't have the answer for you, but I have sprouted out handfuls of bird seed and fed that to my tortoises. Safflower seeds were part of those mixes. Does this help at all?
Absolutely, every bit of info helps!
If nothing else it is one more reasonably safe plant to trample and/ or hide under, and he does love to trample and hide. ;)

Prairie Mom

Sorry, I really don't know anything about it.

I couldn't help, but google it a bit. When I look for tortoise food that doesn't have much info readily available, I often check if flowers are edible for PEOPLE and this often leads to some interesting info. http://www.eattheweeds.com/edible-flowers-part-sixteen/ It's listed here as a plant that people can eat. More often than not, when a flower is safe for people, it seems to be safe for tortoises too. There are always a few exceptions, but typically works well.

Supposedly saffron OIL can cause stomach upset in large amounts, but that doesn't really apply here. I bet your tortoise could test out small amounts and be just fine. Look out for weird colored urates or poop since the flower can be used as a dye!:)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I'm guessing from the description on TTT that there is a need for more research about this plant being a part of the tortoise diet. :confused: Depends whether you feel comfortable with the risk. Judging from the other relatives in the same family, Asteraceae, it may be fine to feed every great once and a while. If the leaves taste bitter, as the link from @Prairie Mom suggests, the tortoise may not find them palatable, but still worth a shot! Thanks for the link, @Prairie Mom! :) Good luck, Gma!

http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?st=true&mode=main&catID=847

Prairie Mom

I'm guessing from the description on TTT that there is a need for more research about this plant being a part of the tortoise diet. :confused:
I've run into this quite a bit on their database, which is why I've created the habit of doing additional googling:) Who can complain though...the tortoise table has such a huge database now. They're allowed to have a few unfinished plant lists!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I've run into this quite a bit on their database, which is why I've created the habit of doing additional googling:) Who can complain though...the tortoise table has such a huge database now. They're allowed to have a few unfinished plant lists!
For sure! I have supported them in the past by purchasing the Edible Plants booklets (they recently came out with a second one). You can also donate via PayPal; their whole team is made up of very hard-working volunteers! ;) I highly recommend supporting them!