Sasha's Enclosure

turtlegirl13

Here is what Sasha's enclosure looks like! It is a 4ft x 6ft wooden pen with a small area of glass for her to look out. She has a mixture of nature non-dyed bark and tortoise dirt. Sasha has a few plants in her enclosure as well. I have two heat lamps since one didn't get the enclosure to the right heat, I have a night bulb, and one UV light for her :) Sasha has one large food bowl and one small as well as an extra large water dish where she can soak in as well. :) I have a large log hide where she can climb up and down as well as hide under the log. Can anyone think of something else that would be helpful for her? :) ImageUploadedByTortForum1390255386.487062.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1390255347.400811.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1390255347.400811.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 162
Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks nice. I'm not fond of the water dish. But I would bury it to be level with the substrate. A clay saucer, the kind that goes under flower post would make a better and safer water dish.

turtlegirl13

Oh really? This seems to be very safe and she loves the ramp. Why are you not fond of it? :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
turtlegirl, we had a member here a few months back who came home to find her tortoise upside down and drowned in that exact same bowl. The sides are too high and its too deep. Those are designed for lizards and snakes, not tortoises. Regular terra cotta plant saucers work much better and they only cost a couple of bucks. Buy the size you need for your tortoise, probably 8 or 10", and sink it into the substrate so the top is level with the surface.

turtlegirl13

I got a new bowl and fixed the issue. I don't think the ramp bowl was a problem though since it isn't even as deep as half of her. Oh well I have a new bowl now to make sure nothing happens! :)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
At last weeks reptile show here in Portland, I donated to be sold one of those ramp type. I was pretty adamant that it have a tag that said, “For Snake and Lizards ONLY! Not for Tortoises or Turtles" the people who bought it, passed the, “what will you use it for?" test. Lizard.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I love your tortoise table! I like the personal touch with the sign & name. Great job!!! Did you use the plans Vicki Hale has for a Russian table?

turtlegirl13

TortsNTurtles said:
I love your tortoise table! I like the personal touch with the sign & name. Great job!!! Did you use the plans Vicki Hale has for a Russian table?

Thank you :)
No, I made my own plans and drew it up :) It took a long time to make but I think it was worth it :) I made this table a year or so ago and just recently added more to it yesterday when I changed out the substrate :) Yeah...her name is pretty funny it is Sasha Roadheaver haha, because when torts walk they kind of move the substrate with them! ;) Here is a photo of the plants and a few pieces of decor I added :) ImageUploadedByTortForum1390334832.542953.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Well you did a great job with your design.The plants & decor look good. The time well spent will be worth it for many years. Thanks for sharing.