Saw my first in-person female adult Russian tortoise.

L

LasTortugasNinja

I've been researching Russian tortoises for about 4 months prior to buying my little guy. Looked at store stock, a few individuals available via classifieds, etc. Everything has been adult males with long, thin tails. Yesterday, I was buying some stuff for my monitor lizard and while at Petco, I saw they had a fresh batch of Russian tortoises. One of them was HUGE. Almost double the size of the other 3. She turned her back to everyone and her tail was a little thick stump. She was easily 8 or 9 inches in shell length.

Sorry I don't have anything deep in this post. I just thought it was pretty interesting.

No, I didn't buy her. Baby Tortoises aren't in the cards, and I don't have the time/space for two tortoises.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ocala, Fl
I've been researching Russian tortoises for about 4 months prior to buying my little guy. Looked at store stock, a few individuals available via classifieds, etc. Everything has been adult males with long, thin tails. Yesterday, I was buying some stuff for my monitor lizard and while at Petco, I saw they had a fresh batch of Russian tortoises. One of them was HUGE. Almost double the size of the other 3. She turned her back to everyone and her tail was a little thick stump. She was easily 8 or 9 inches in shell length.

Sorry I don't have anything deep in this post. I just thought it was pretty interesting.

No, I didn't buy her. Baby Tortoises aren't in the cards, and I don't have the time/space for two tortoises.
Whoah! I usually wouldn't buy from them, but if I saw a jumbo female, I would have to add it to my group! It's rare to see big females that are wild caught, usually they ship the smaller ones. Thanks for sharing!

L

LasTortugasNinja

Whoah! I usually wouldn't buy from them, but if I saw a jumbo female, I would have to add it to my group! It's rare to see big females that are wild caught, usually they ship the smaller ones. Thanks for sharing!
I gave it a 5 second thought towards buying her, but decided I like being married more. I bring home another pet and the missus will throw pets and owner out on the curb. lol

Braeden p

Location (City and/or State)
Pottstown PA

That is big most females get 8in max!