Say hello to Toby!

macky9326

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
ImageUploadedByTortForum1390014013.261374.jpg

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum and Toby is my first tort, I got him at the very start of December, he is four years old this year and since he passed his vet examination with flying colours today I thought it is time to stop worrying about my setup and his diet and start getting some fun and useful advice from you guys!

For starters I would love to know what you do to keep your tortoise entertained, and maybe some advice on things that I can purchase for his home to make it that much more... Homely! :)ImageUploadedByTortForum1390014220.560038.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gregcalverley0327

10 Year Member!
I would change the coil bulb to a fluorescent UVB light, the coils have been known to cause eye problems in tortoises, also maybe try an get a bigger cage? Looks a little small. Other than that he looks pretty good from the picture and the enclosure does look nice! And welcome

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Yeah...everything that Greg said!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! I may be blind, but I am not seeing the water dish. Is it perhaps in the very front, where the wall hides it? What are you using for substrate? Looks almost like pellets, which are not really good for them. Now to your real question which is really hard because there is such limited space... how about growing him some plants and then putting them in there when they are tall enough? Seeds are cheap, can use your own soil, and plant them in trays that you recycle from other uses. Once grow just plop the entire tray into the enclosure. How about creating him and outside enclosure? One he can't escape from nor other things get into him. Then he could free graze, climb over things like branches and do all sorts of active tortoise things.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: Pretend chat 2

Jacqui: there's a water dish on the far left. Its there. :)

macky9326

Scotland
Water dish is there and I'm using this at my vets ImageUploadedByTortForum1390082466.851050.jpgrecommendation :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Instinct

5 Year Member
Upstate New York
Welcome to the forum!

Toby is a sweet looking boy, glad to hear that he passed his vet check. :)
If at all possible,I would look into getting Toby a bit larger enclosure. The one he has now looks a bit small for a tortoise his size.

As Jacqui mentioned, putting in live plants are a great source of food and fun! My little one just adores his plants.