Scepticemia?? Please tell me it is not that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello All

Yesterday, I put Hermy in a bath for 20 minutes. After that I took her to put her back in her terrarium and I saw the big line (in the middle) on her plastron was pinkish, I also saw a couple of spot. I checked on the internet and it says that if it is scepticemia it could be dangerous. I called the vet, I spoke with the tecnician, she thinks it could be that but she is not sure. I have an appointment on Thursday PM. I am really going crazy. She is eating and acting as usual. The tecnician told me to keep an eye on Hermy so I wake her up this morning, she was not too happy about that. she ate and she was basking when I left. I took a picture, you cant see perfectly but you can see it is a little bit reddish. Does anyone of you know what it is?

Thanks

Isa :(

Hermy4-1.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're right to be scared of septicemia, and you're correct that it shows up as a red line on the plastron between the scutes. However, a perfectly normal, healthy tortoise sometimes shows slightly pinkish in the new growth too. Its a good idea to see the vet, but I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thank you sooo much Yvonne.

I am worried because there are also white spots on the shell and on the plastron. I hope Hermy is ok. I will wake her up every morning before I go to work and when I get home from work to see if she is ok until her appointment on thursday afternoon!

Isa

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
good luck. hopefully everything is ok. keep us posted

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Totally normal new growth.

Ed

Isa said:
Thank you sooo much Yvonne.

I am worried because there are also white spots on the shell and on the plastron. I hope Hermy is ok. I will wake her up every morning before I go to work and when I get home from work to see if she is ok until her appointment on thursday afternoon!

Isa

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I agree looks like new growth. But I know your vet will settle your mind. Just keep your eye on her. Are you going to have a culture done because of the bubbles while you are at the vets?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Crazy1 said:
I agree looks like new growth. But I know your vet will settle your mind. Just keep your eye on her. Are you going to have a culture done because of the bubbles while you are at the vets?

Hello Robyn

I called the tecnician about the bubble yesterday (before I saw the redish on little Hermy), she spoke with the vet about that and she called me back. He told her it is ok if it is one bubble but if I see another one it is a problem so to call her back. But since I am bringing her for the redish line and spots and white spots, I think I will ask him to do a culture.

Isa

rattboy

10 Year Member!
San Francisco, CA
Concur, new growth. The white spots are sometimes bacteria infections from being exposed to soiled substrate. Change the substrate and apply triple antibiotic to the white or dullish areas of the shell and it usually goes away.

Paul Rattay

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
rattboy said:
Concur, new growth. The white spots are sometimes bacteria infections from being exposed to soiled substrate. Change the substrate and apply triple antibiotic to the white or dullish areas of the shell and it usually goes away.

Paul Rattay

Thanks Paul.

I use aspen as substrate, it is not dirty, maybe she got that when she went outside on the grass.

Isa

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
can you send a picture of the 'white spots'?

I suspect it is also new growth. The upper keratin layer will develop these white swirls before it fully develops the color of the shell.

Ed

Isa said:
rattboy said:

Paul Rattay

Thanks Paul.

I use aspen as substrate, it is not dirty, maybe she got that when she went outside on the grass.

Isa

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Ed

Do you see the white little spots (sorry I know it is really hard to see from the pic)

Isa

Hermy4-1-1-1.jpg

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I rarely do this...

Don't even think about going to a vet... that poor tortoise is wondering... why are you torturing me??????

That is very nice... natural growth.

Oh... Exellent photographs.

Ed

Isa said:
Hello Ed

Do you see the white little spots (sorry I know it is really hard to see from the pic)

Isa

Hermy4-1-1-1.jpg

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Really?? :D

Thanks Ed, that makes me soooo happy.

Now, with what you are telling me, I am not sure I should bring her to the vet on Thursday!

I will be able to sleep tonight :D

Isa

rattboy

10 Year Member!
San Francisco, CA
Looks like a heathy tort to me too.

The white spots I mention keepers see from time to time particularly with animals in crowded conditions and are not harmful if treated. It usually looks kinda like soap scum that you would see on the glass of a shower. Based on those pics though your tort looks great.

Here is a pic of an advanced case of a shell infection for future reference. If the enclosure isn't crowded and kept clean you will likely not see this occur.

http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upload/uploads/monthly_10_2007/post-13463-1192853140.jpg

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Paul,

I went to the vet yesterday and Hermy is perfectly healty, the white and red spots are due to normal growth :D

Isa

Status
Not open for further replies.