I think Hermy does not like her new substract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello

My Hermy is 10 months old and all her life, she lived on a carpet or paper. On saturday, I put a substract in her terrarium (aspen). I do not think she likes the new substrat. Since saturday, she tries to escape her terrarium :(. This morning she did not eat a lot, and she tried to escape again :(. I dont know why I find her terrarium pretty cool :). Is it normal if it takes time for Hermy to accept the new substract?

The temps are the same but the uvb lights are 15" from her instead of 18". I dont think that could make the difference.

Thanks

Isa

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Isa I think you mean "substrate" not substract. :)
Aspen is just fine for her, she may not be used to it but she will learn that she can burrow in it and that it will do her more good than harm. I keep all of my tortoises on aspen when they are indoors and have for years with no problems. Rabbit pellets work well too and of course the typical 50% soil/50% sand mix will work great too and is very natural for them.

She may be trying to get out due to possible over-heating of her enclosure. This is one of the reasons why torts don't do too well in glass aquariums. She may also be stressing because she can see out of her enclosure. Sometimes, if you have to keep them in tanks, putting about 3-4" of masking/duct/electrical tape around the whole thing at the animal's eye level will help. This gives the tortoise a barrier that they cannot see through and may calm them down a bit.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello

Sorry, Yes substrate was what I meant ( I always say substract opps). I put paper outside the terrarium so that she wont be able to see outside but I think she sees herself more with the brown paper. I will try the black tape, should I put it outside or inside the terrarium. I will build her a wood table, I cant wait :)!

Thanks for your answer.

Isa

Status
Not open for further replies.