sign of RI?? I hope not!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello all,

This afternoon, I was looking at my Hermy (11 months old), she was smelling the substrate in her terrarium, and then, I saw a bubble that came out of her nose. Hermy had a RI 2-3 months ago, she took antibiotics for 21 days. She is active and she eats as usual. I dont really want to bring her to the vet because I noticed that he gives antibotic for everything (even if there is not a lot of symptom). I wanted to know if its normal if a bubble comes out of her nose sometimes (she did not drink water before) or is it 100% sure that she has a RI. My vet told me last time that if I see a bubble coming out of her ose she has a Ri for sure, but I dont know if I should trust him 100%. That took a throat sample a month ago and everything was normal!. Should I bring her to the vet?

My vet told me to put her on a carpet when she has a RI (because of the dust) is it ok if I leave the aspen in her terrarium? I am asking that because like I said before I dont know if I should trust Hermy's vet 100%.

Thanks a lot

Isa

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Many vets; not all, tend to be fairly aggressive with antibiotics. They make their living that way. If they have not done a culture then there is no reason to treat. Without a culture they would not even know what to treat with? I would just raise temps and keep him / her dry. Water no more than once every 3 days. Hot spot in the low to mid 90's most tortoises respond to this really well. If you wish to go the vet route make sure that they do a culture. Beware of Baytril, INCREDIBLY PAINFUL!!! Best Douglas Beard / Flora & Fauna

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
elegans said:
Many vets; not all, tend to be fairly aggressive with antibiotics. They make their living that way. If they have not done a culture then there is no reason to treat. Without a culture they would not even know what to treat with? I would just raise temps and keep him / her dry. Water no more than once every 3 days. Hot spot in the low to mid 90's most tortoises respond to this really well. If you wish to go the vet route make sure that they do a culture. Beware of Baytril, INCREDIBLY PAINFUL!!! Best Douglas Beard / Flora & Fauna

Thanks for your answer elegans.

Last time Hermy had a RI, they gave me antibiotic before they did the culture. They first prescript baytrill, I have her the shot 2 times ( I was going crazy, I did not want to hurt her) After the shot she would fall asleep right away. That's why they prescript Hermy another one (I had to put the antibiotic in her food each morning for 21 days) after that there was still looking sick so that is when the did a culture, and the results were negative(a month ago). I really hope she is going to be ok and that she is not sick. What do you mean by incredibly painful? I hope I did not hurt too much hermy when I gave her the shots.

Thanks for the advice.

Isa

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa, two of my adult Greeks got sick with RI. The first vet I took them too gave me an antibiotic in shot form that I gave them for a week. They just got sicker. The second vet I took them too suggested a culture to make sure we were giving them the right antibiotic for the bacteria they had. When the results came back he showed me the paperwork and explained it in detail. Mine had three separate bacterial strains that were making them sick. Several antibiotics would work with one but not the others. Baytril was the one medication that would work on all three. So Baytril was it. So I gave them the Baytril shots once a day for 14 days then every other day for another 14 days. I rotated legs so they were not getting the shot in the same place all the time. It was not fun. I know it was painful. But just like children or people when they get sick, sometimes you just have to do what you have to do to get them better. Even though the shot was painful I knew without it they would not get better and I would lose them. So painful shots it was going to be. Funny though once they started feeling better it seemed our relationship changed. We are actually closer. They come when I talk to them now when before they would tuck into their shells. So something good came out of it besides having two healthy torts. I thought they would run for the hills when they saw me or heard my voice but I think they knew I was doing it to make them better.

I hope Hermy is ok. If you take him to the vet have the culture done first. Make sure you see the results and have the vet explain what it means.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Robyn

So you think I should bring Hermy to the vet? or should I wait to see other bubbles? (her eyes and her nostrils look fine)

Thanks

Isa

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello It is me again!

Is it ok if I leave her on aspen or should I put carpet in her terrarium?

Thanks again!

Isa

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
If she is not getting worst I would not go the vet route. Vets are fine when needed, frequently if they are not exotic vets they know less than you or the people that you have access to. Douglas Beard / Flora & Fauna

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i wouldnt worry about it, personally. my leopards had bubbles and made a sneezing sound, but it happened to just b a cold. everything is good now. vets will try to hustle your wallet. i wanted to my eye cream for my torts for the vet and they were charging 30 bucks!!! which was 12 at the feed store. oh yea plus they cause i had to get my tort check up before they can sell it to me. 65 bucks compared to 12 is insane!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks elegans and Jasso

Thanks for your advices. Maybe I will go to the vet on Thursday (there is a redish line on her plastron + red spots), like people told me in this site it is probably new growth, but maybe I will bring her to make sure she is ok. So if I bring her I will ask him to take a look at her for the bubble.

Thanks for the advices :)

Isa

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa, only you can make the call to take Hermy to the vet. Each owner must determine the care of her own tort as there are many factors that come into play. How the tort is acting, can you see its nostrils, hear its wheezing, is it eating ok, do I feel something is off with it. Would I just feel better if I take it to the vet? Can I afford it? So, so many things to consider and all valid. I am confident you will make the best choice for your Hermy.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Robyn,

I did not cancel Hermy's apointment. We will go tomorrow afternoon. She eats like a pigglet, her nostrils are clear, but imagine if she was sick (last time she had bubbles comming out of her nose she had a RI) and with the spots on her shell and plastron. I will go tomorrow and make sure my little Hermy is top shape :D. What's bothering me is I am scared that he will prescribe antibiotic for nothing. BUT I WILL INSIST that he makes a culture first!

Isa

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I would look very carefully at the red on her belly. If it is just a light pink on the seams then all is probably fine, however if there are spots all over the bottom this could be a sign of septicemia. That would need to be addressed IMMEDIATELY!

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Also look on her skin around her neck and legs, if there are red spots there it is a problem, a big problem! Best wishes Douglas

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A lot of tortoise people don't realize that the tortoise's nostrils (nares) don't end up down in the lungs, they go into the roof of the tortoise's mouth. Frequently, if surprised, whatever is in the mouth (saliva, bubbles, food, etc) will come out the nose. An occasional bubble is not a cause for concern.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.