SCORE!!!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I FINALLY got Elsa to resume eating opuntia!! She is a 5 year old Hermann's, and she used to gobble up her opuntia like a good girl. But earlier this summer, for unknown reasons, she suddenly would have NOTHING to do with it. But thanks to Mazuri and the LOVINGLY CONNIVING tortoise parents on this forum (don't you HAVE to be conniving to a certain extent to raise any kind of teenager: human or chelonian ???:D) she's eating it again! Following the suggestions of forum members, I chopped up some opuntia teeny-tiny and put it in her Mazuri that I had soaked JUST ENOUGH to make it like thick mashed potatoes. She gobbled it up and even LICKED HER PLATE: she had to open her mouth really wide to do that!!!:D I tried to get pictures, but my cell phone camera couldn't read the lighting in her enclosure right and it came out way to dark. Will try again another day!

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
That's great! The good ole Mazuri mash trick has bailed me out multiple times over the years.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Thats good to hear. I know its troublesome to watch them not eat. I have that issue at times... :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think I might have been more inclined to listen to the animal in this case. Opuntia, while a great source of calcium, is also high in oxalic acid. Maybe the tortoise knew something we don't.

I only feed opuntia once a week.