Scratch on head

AbbyLee22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Mexico
After the babies morning soak I noticed little Bobbie had a tiny scratch on his head. I asked the kids about it and my oldest son admitted that he accidentally let the cat in the room and he was 'messing' with the turtles when he caught her. AHHH! Anyhow, the scratch is tiny, maybe 3mm, and Bobbie didn't seem bothered by it but I wanted to see if there is anything special I should be doing? I rinsed it with fresh water (I usually rinse them if they poop in there water) but didn't want to irritate it further. I just know cat bites/scratches can get nasty. I can take a pic later if needed. Thanks in advance!

phebe121

Well i knoe the extra virgin coconut oil is also a natural antiseptic if your worried about but i think.it should be fine just washing it

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have some general antiseptic ointment that I use for a precaution. But I wouldn't use it near an eye or the mouth. Maybe not on a baby, either. Just keep an eye on it and see if it looks inflamed or like it's healing.

AbbyLee22

5 Year Member
New Mexico
Thanks for the reply's so far, puts my mind to ease. I am sure it will be okay, but I will keep an eye on her for sure!

Prairie Mom

I agree. I'm sure she'll be okay. If it were mine, I'd watch to make sure it isn't inflamed and I agree with @ZEROPILOT 's post about using ointment if necessary. I have work to keep our bathroom door closed and cat free during soaks too. I feel your pain! Keep up the good fight! :)

phebe121

I think that most of us are overly concerned for our pets. They count on us for everything. That's the very first post I've seen about a confirmed cat harming a tortoise story.

I bet the cat truly didnt mean to sometimes my cats walk on me and there nails do a little scratch

AbbyLee22

5 Year Member
New Mexico
Honestly, he's a kitten (about 6 months old) and my son said he was just pawing at them and drinking the (POO) water. So it was 'in play' for sure it sounds like. I am just super careful because I have three ferrets who are raw fed and see them as prey for sure, so I keep torts at a good distance from other animals. That and 4 years ago my first leo, Jesse, was 'chewed' on by our dog during a cage clean out when she was a hatchling (older than my babies now though). Luckily she survived and barely has the scares to prove the encounter, but needless to say I am a little 'gun shy' when it comes to tort chew toys. I think my hubby would banish me if I ended up with another $1000 vet bill. :rolleyes:

phebe121

My cats if the torts are out the come running to.see them and sniff and tuch them its funny

AbbyLee22

5 Year Member
New Mexico
That's more so how he treats Jesse, sniffs and 'noses' her, but the babies are new thing poor Dexter just wants to explore. haha

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
Cats saliva contains Bartonella henselae (sometimes) and Pasteurella and hence their nails get that on them from grooming their nails. With birds, a single prick of a Cat's nails will most likely kill the bird, so I would really keep an eye on your Tortoise. Cat's scratches aren't just nasty, they can be deadly. :(