Screen cover and UVB

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I am wanting to get a screen cover for a 40 gallon breeder tank. I've heard that the screen tops block too much UVB. I have looked at several online and none of them seem to say how big the holes are. Does anybody have a Zila terrarium fresh air top or a exoterra screen top? How big are the holes in the mash? I want to be able to put the light and CH E fixtures on top of the screen.
If none of the screens are adequate I will build one somehow.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I saw a thread about using reflectix, that looked pretty good but I want to make sure it keeps my cat out.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
The screen on a zilla tank blocks about half the light and uvb when I measured it here. If you add a reflector, it restores that lost 50%. With a 13w bulb, the uvb is fairly low at 9", but is adequate with a 26w bulb. This is with a 10.0 cfl.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
The screen on a zilla tank blocks about half the light and uvb when I measured it here. If you add a reflector, it restores that lost 50%. With a 13w bulb, the uvb is fairly low at 9", but is adequate with a 26w bulb. This is with a 10.0 cfl.
Thanks, I didn't know how much it would block. I plan to use these, one with a mercury vapor bulb and one with the CHE. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1470467401.925111.jpg

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Using that reflector will offset the screen loss so I would use the manufacturer's recommended distances.