Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Redfoot NERD said:
Madkins007 said:
Interesting idea! Misting the tortoise directly has always been offered as a way of generally increasing humidity, but the idea that the wet shell itself is the goal is an interesting twist.

Remember Mark I told you to "mist these redfoots till they DRIP" I sent you!? How can you say now it is a new concept to you? Did you really think it was to raise the humidity in the enclosure? This concept has been out there for at least 5 years. Did you not follow the link earlier in this thread? Must not have.....

Smiley NERD

Sigh. Please re-read the first sentence, where I state that misting the tortoises directly is an old idea, but that the new twist is that it has a benefit other than humidity.

I cannot find a single instance on any of your sites where you mention any hint that direct misting does anything other than affect humidity.

In fact, on your main Turtletary.com RF caresheet, (why did you pull out an old site when it still says it on your main site?) you only mention direct misting once- "Our redfoots have NEVER been soaked (no need).. have been "misted"of course until they drip often.. every day!"

Earlier in the site (in fact, 13 full screens earlier on my monitor) you say "HUMIDITY: The # 1 priority for redfoot hatchlings!
These tortoises start out as eggs (brilliant observation.. huh?).. in almost muddy soil.
They require high levels of humidity. As soon as these hatchlings are out of the 'nursery'..
and eating on their own.. they are "misted".. while eating as well as in their hide.
This can be accomplished by "misting" with a simple "spray-bottle"
throughout the entire enclosure.. daily.
These little guys do require some care daily!
My adults are most active during a summer rain!
You can't get redfoot tortoises too wet!"

Thus, the reasonable assumption that you are saying direct misting is an offshoot of habitat misting- for humidity.

If you knew it had another purpose, it would have been nice to know that, and for the key piece of advice to have been mentioned more clearly and in the part where you are discussing habitat or daily cares instead of the part where you seem to be bragging (rightfully so) about how the hatchlings in a string of photos has turned out.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You have a good caresheet. I just wish it was organized more clearly and I would be happy to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.