Secure with her surroundings?

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
Do box turtles feel "secure" and know they aren't in danger or is it purely instinctive?

I don't know.......answer welcome....heck, so are opinions.....LOL

I decided to take advantage of the break in the rains to work on her home. I was pounding her concrete pool to pieces with a 16lb tunneling bar and Matilda was 28" away and completely unfazed. While she moved to watch everything I was doing prior to that, once I was pounding away, she just ignored it.

It was interesting Matilda's lack of reaction to the "violent" work of that bar being thrown into the concrete w/185 lbs of old man behind it 100 times, but was nearly underfoot during the quiet work with the shovel and moving leaves and stuff. It's not she couldn't feel it....Superman makes the Earth shake but now needs a shave and shower now as I relented and Kerry's coming over-LOL

20221001_133505.jpg20221001_133455.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I believe they can become comfy and secure in their surroundings.
My tortoises I know have. I feel when they don't flinch at everything that moves, don't just hide away, and comes to see what I have or am doing, I'd say they are secure.
If tortoises can, turtles can.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Well, I was able to get it complete with her new pool and stuff. Yesterday it was 57F most of the day and she was out exploring her new home and eating.....even in the cool weather.

That's big thing off my plate. I've been wanting to get it done so she has plenty of time to decide where to dig in but I got caught by the calendar for planting the grass and other stuff I needed to get done at our homes.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I was surprised yesterday when I got home and saw Matilda out and about...it was 50F and raining. I thought she's be dug in with the cool weather.....but nope, she's out Doop de doing!

gep0322

Platinum Tortoise Club
Birmingham, Alabama
Do box turtles feel "secure" and know they aren't in danger or is it purely instinctive?

I don't know.......answer welcome....heck, so are opinions.....LOL

I decided to take advantage of the break in the rains to work on her home. I was pounding her concrete pool to pieces with a 16lb tunneling bar and Matilda was 28" away and completely unfazed. While she moved to watch everything I was doing prior to that, once I was pounding away, she just ignored it.

It was interesting Matilda's lack of reaction to the "violent" work of that bar being thrown into the concrete w/185 lbs of old man behind it 100 times, but was nearly underfoot during the quiet work with the shovel and moving leaves and stuff. It's not she couldn't feel it....Superman makes the Earth shake but now needs a shave and shower now as I relented and Kerry's coming over-LOL

View attachment 350432View attachment 350433
That’s amazing she didn’t panic. I can see her colors good in the picture. She has real nice colors. How old are they when they start getting colorful. Max is a year old and hasn’t started getting colors on his shell.
Gerry