seeds to grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Little Louie

5 Year Member
I was wondering what are the best seeds to plants for my red foot...I seen a lot of things that said great for desert tortoises but what about forest tortoises?I want something he can graze around in his enclosure.Where can I buy them?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Outside or inside? I used to put Spring mix seeds in his indoor enclosure when he was little. He ate the sprouts as they came up. I don't do it any more as he just tramples them.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
carolinapetsupply.com has several different kinds. I know because I ordered two of them for Taco. ;)

One kind was on backorder. :(

I think LLLReptile is another source of some repute. :cool:

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
If you want them to grow, you may want to plant them in pots or flats outside the habitat and transfer them in in small batches. Otherwise they usually either eat them to the ground or trample them completely.

As for good plants, there are several lists on-line, such as http://redfoottortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm

My Little Louie

5 Year Member
Which is better from Carolina Pet Supply, the Russian Tortoise seed mix or the Grazing Tortoise seed mix?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The grazing tortoise seed mixture is mostly grass. Your redfoot/yellowfoot will eat grass, but they prefer the broad-leaf plants, so the Russian seed mixture would be the better choice of the two.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
This is the Spring Mix I planted in his enclosure. I bought a few packs in the 99 cent store. After he ate them I would just sprinkle more seeds.
058-2.jpg

My Little Louie

5 Year Member
I went to Walmart and couldnt find the spring mix(seed pkt), I will try Ace. Is the spring mix all letuces,what is in it? I would like to find some. I feed him a spring mix from walmart with all the different lettuces,not sure if thats the same thing??

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Yes, it is the same as the Spring mix you get in the grocery store. Pio really loved the little sprouts. Now that he's big I give him some twice a week.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Geez, Terry, is there anything you touch that doesn't grow and thrive? That spring mix looks like a commercial--picture perfect. :p

Lucky little Pio! ;)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Would you believe that I open a little corner of the package and sprinkle it all over the viv? I don't even cover it with dirt. I do the same outside. It's like weeds. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.