Weed seeds

Tortugatron

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Buhl, Idaho
Salutations all. Can anyone inform me about "weed seeds" and where to get them? I've seen it mentioned a couple times as though you can purchase seeds and grown weeds to feed your tortoise needs.

Yes, that was on purpose. Thank you.

Is there a certain brand that I can get or certain seeds that work best? I live in hot, sunny Riverside and am feeding sulcatas and desert tortoises, and they've nearly depleted all the weeds I had growing around the yard. I'd like to get a bunch of weed seeds and grow a tortoise garden next to my human garden.

Thanks!

Tortugatron

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Buhl, Idaho
Salutations all. Can anyone inform me about "weed seeds" and where to get them? I've seen it mentioned a couple times as though you can purchase seeds and grown weeds to feed your tortoise needs.

Yes, that was on purpose. Thank you.

Is there a certain brand that I can get or certain seeds that work best? I live in hot, sunny Riverside and am feeding sulcatas and desert tortoises, and they've nearly depleted all the weeds I had growing around the yard. I'd like to get a bunch of weed seeds and grow a tortoise garden next to my human garden.

Thanks!

Okay. That sounded weird. Let me rephrase that: I'd like to get a bunch of weed seeds and grow a garden FOR tortoises next to my garden FOR humans.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
Do you have Sulcatas? I have seeds I can sell from Tortoise Supply. I have half a bag left. I'm also located in Riverside. Send a PM if interested.

Tortugatron

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Buhl, Idaho
Oops... Missed the part about your torts.
Hello @Yelloweyed , as you found out I do indeed have sulcatas and I would love some weed seeds! I think I pmed you, but I'm not sure... I'm still trying to figure out this forum.

I did learn how to tag people though, so that's a start.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
As mentioned Tortoisesupply is a great resource, but I have found most of mine through Amazon.
Outsidepride is a great one for clovers, I also ordered a large amount of mallow seeds from them:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p...sidepride:+Clover+Seed&ie=UTF8&qid=1434551196

Everwilde farms is my favorite for hard to find grass seeds:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=me=A20N69YSW9TOUN&field-keywords=grass

Other vendors I have used and had great luck with are The Dirty Gardener & MySeeds.co.

Tortugatron

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Buhl, Idaho
As mentioned Tortoisesupply is a great resource, but I have found most of mine through Amazon.
Outsidepride is a great one for clovers, I also ordered a large amount of mallow seeds from them:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_4_4?me=A3KP4PUPMP96T0&fst=as:eek:ff&rh=p_4:Outsidepride: Clover Seed&ie=UTF8&qid=1434551196

Everwilde farms is my favorite for hard to find grass seeds:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=me=A20N69YSW9TOUN&field-keywords=grass

Other vendors I have used and had great luck with are The Dirty Gardener & MySeeds.co.
Thank you very much! I'll be looking into those immediately.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Thank you very much! I'll be looking into those immediately.
You are very welcome! This place has been a wealth of information and support for me, the least I can do is give back where I can!

I will be placing another order soon myself, they have some red and crimson clover that I think will add a little variety both for the look and the taste of the garden.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
FYI, I was browsing Outside Pride before work this morning and found 3 different types of plantain and purslane to add on to my order of red and crimson clover! It should be here in a few days, SO EXCITED!

(is there a self-help group for this out of control tort gardening, I think I may need it. :oops: )

Tortugatron

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Buhl, Idaho
FYI, I was browsing Outside Pride before work this morning and found 3 different types of plantain and purslane to add on to my order of red and crimson clover! It should be here in a few days, SO EXCITED!

(is there a self-help group for this out of control tort gardening, I think I may need it. :oops: )
I know the feeling well! Don't worry, you're safe to let the crazy run free here :)

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I know the feeling well! Don't worry, you're safe to let the crazy run free here :)
I made the mistake of talking about my tort gardening at work today and said how excited I was that I had more "weeds" coming.

I think they may move to have me committed.:p

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
I made the mistake of talking about my tort gardening at work today and said how excited I was that I had more "weeds" coming.

I think they may move to have me committed.:p
Hahahaha! I get the same thing when someone casually asks me if I have a pet, then the flood gates open! And they regret asking. LOL

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
You ladies are cracking me up! I am glad I am not alone! I recently went away for a girls weekend and made our caravan of 6 cars turn around because I saw some dandelions on the property we were staying out (the owner told me they are pesticide free and I could take what I wanted.) I would take nightly walks with a wine glass in one hand and pair of scissors in the other with a zip lock bag tucked into my back pocket.

Good times.

Good times.

:D

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
You ladies are cracking me up! I am glad I am not alone! I recently went away for a girls weekend and made our caravan of 6 cars turn around because I saw some dandelions on the property we were staying out (the owner told me they are pesticide free and I could take what I wanted.) I would take nightly walks with a wine glass in one hand and pair of scissors in the other with a zip lock bag tucked into my back pocket.

Good times.

Good times.

Here in Oregon we get dandelion year round. When the side yard goes to seed I've been know to take my cordless vacuum cleaner out and just casually walk the yard collecting the puff balls before they scatter so I can plant them in my Russian tortoises outside yard.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+

Good times.

Good times.

Last weekend when my son and I were driving up to the lake with Odin in tow, (mostly woods and farmland up that way)I kept pointing out fields of grass and clover and stands of fern and other various edibles and telling my son we should pull over and let Odin stretch his legs and taste them. He just shook his head and told me to pay attention to the road. Then we came upon a farm with cows grazing and I told him that field would definitely be safe to eat and maybe Odin and the cows would frolic together and be friends. The look on his face!

That kid is going to put me in a home sooner than later.......

Here in Oregon we get dandelion year round. When the side yard goes to seed I've been know to take my cordless vacuum cleaner out and just casually walk the yard collecting the puff balls before they scatter so I can plant them in my Russian tortoises outside yard.
o_O
WHY did I not think of that? Brilliant!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I've used this method in the summer to collect seed to send to a tortoise lover in Florida. Bet the Dept. of Agriculture would love to know that!
Well, I am certainly not going to tell them!

I don't need them looking at some of the seed shipments I have received.;)