Seeing reflection??

Status
Not open for further replies.

russianbutters

5 Year Member
Okay so today I got my tortoise, Dr. Arthur Reginald Buttersworth, "Butters." After researching a lot, I made a tortoise table. I painted it black. The problem is that the black is a little glossy and I'm pretty sure he can see his reflection in it because he keeps going towards the sides and clawing at it and climbing to try to get out over to where the "other tortoise" must be. This is what I'm assuming. Do you think this is what is happening or is he just scared and wants to get out? What should I do?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think he can see his reflection. What yours is doing, is very common. If he can see over the ledge, make it higher. Post a pic of your enclosure so we can see what might help make him not want out. Also, give him some time to get used to being in his new home and with his new family.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

Wow! That's quite the moniker you've tacked onto the little guy. What you're seeing is a tortoise, a wild animal, that is trying to get out of a box and get back to his territory. If it is at all possible, your tortoise belongs outside in a fairly large enclosure where he feels comfortable.

russianbutters

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1370719018.008190.jpg This is the table. I can't have him outside all the time because I live in a cold place :(

ImageUploadedByTortForum1370719154.287079.jpg Also here is another picture for your enjoyment :)

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
This might sound facetious, but it is not intended to be so. Couldn't you just repaint with a Matt finish? 24 hours in temporary accommodation while paint dries will do no harm.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
I think your tort thinks he can climb over the dark area and through the light area. I agree with JoesMum - paint the lighter area a darker color, or paint the dark area a light color.

russianbutters

5 Year Member
Okay thanks for the advice!! I'll see if he keeps doing it after a week or so and maybe do some painting :)

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I love your enclosure!!!
Awesome job!!! :)
By the way....Welcome to the forum!! :)

russianbutters

5 Year Member
Thank you! It's a little smaller than I would have liked but I found the bottom part at a second hand store...it's even on wheels! It was such a good buy and only a LITTLE smaller than I was looking for so I got it. It seems like the little guy is happy. That's all I care about! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.