help I need a tortoise table

Status
Not open for further replies.

skraft

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello, we adopted a rescued 7 year old greek tortoise a few months ago. He is about 6 inches in diameter. He seems increasingly unhappy in his aquarium and paces a lot. We live in New york city and do not have outdoor space or a lot of room. I would like to get him a table that he would be happier in, but I can not build it myself. Is there any place around new york city that sells them and where I could look at different options. I have tried making the aquarium opaque but he still seems to see reflection and keeps trying to escape.

Thanks for your help!

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
There are not a lot of options for pre-made tables/indoor enclosures. The larger options would be stock tank type and very large plastic storage bins. I have one large one that was made for Christmas tree storage, but I only use it for 1 or 2 babies at most.
To get enough room for him you are probably going to have to make something.
I have seen several people take an old book shelf and lay it down on its back as a starting point and go from there.
If he is 6 inch he will need a good amount of floor space, proper UV lighting and diet.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
You don't know anyone with tools who can screw 4 boards together, then screw a piece of plywood to the bottom of the box? All you need is a drill with a screw driver bit, 1 board: 1"x12"x6' that you will have the lumber yard cut in half for the ends, and 2 that are 1"x12"x6' or 8' for the sides (depends on how long you want the table). And 3 2"x4"x8' that you can have the lumber yard cut 3' lengths off of. These 2"x4"x3' boards will be used as braces across the bottom of the plywood. I would put 3 pairs of wheels on the bottom of it so it will be easy to move around. If you know someone with a router, they could make a pretty edge on the top of the boards. If you have cats or dogs, you will want to make a screen top. Home Depot has some 36" fencing that has holes 1/2" square. Have your friend make a frame with 1"x1" boards and staple the wire to it. The frame will fit around the outside edge of the table.
I bet you could do it yourself with a helper if you try!!!
Good luck
Patsy

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I think a bookshelf is your best bet. Another thing people have used is a waterbed frame. The more room you can give him the better. Torts get stressed if they can see out but can't get out. That may be the cause of pacing. Check in www.craigslist.org for these items in your area. You would be surprised what you can find there. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.