Seeking a Blonde Female P. Babcocki (Leopard)

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtles1957

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am on the search for a Blonde Female Leopard (Babcocki) for my male. He is 11", so I am looking for a gal of breeding age. I am willing to pick up OR pay for her flight to us. Thanks for your help!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Jennifer,
You really don't need a blonde female. You can easily make blonde Leopard tortoises by raising them very warm. The blonde color isn't a genetic trait. :D

Danny

turtles1957

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Hi Jennifer,
You really don't need a blonde female. You can easily make blonde Leopard tortoises by raising them very warm. The blonde color isn't a genetic trait. :D

Danny

I had no idea! Have you done this? On the other hand, we really like the blonde and we want to keep that type only. But BOY...are they hard to find.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I haven't personally done it with Leopard tortoises as I don't like them blonde :p, but I know plenty of people that have.
If you raise your daytime base temperature to about 86F, you'll get blonde Leopard tortoises.
I seem to be doing an experiment with Golden greek tortoises and it works just the same. The ones higher up in my room are much lighter than the ones that are lower down in the room.
The higher base temperatures stop the production of melanin, so making a lighter animal that doesn't over heat in the hot temperatures.

Danny

TORTOISEHOME

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
I haven't personally done it with Leopard tortoises as I don't like them blonde :p, but I know plenty of people that have.
If you raise your daytime base temperature to about 86F, you'll get blonde Leopard tortoises.
I seem to be doing an experiment with Golden greek tortoises and it works just the same. The ones higher up in my room are much lighter than the ones that are lower down in the room.
The higher base temperatures stop the production of melanin, so making a lighter animal that doesn't over heat in the hot temperatures.

Danny

I find that interesting as well that outside temps have something to do with it. I have 6 Leopards, 3 are blonde, 3 are dark. All live in the same yard for the last couple of years. Ages range from 3 years to 15 years. I am not parting with them...I just find it interesting that I have 50/50 in the same heat.

turtles1957

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for the insight. However, still seeking the female blonde!

Lil' Tortie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Central TX
turtles1957 said:
I am on the search for a Blonde Female Leopard (Babcocki) for my male. He is 11", so I am looking for a gal of breeding age. I am willing to pick up OR pay for her flight to us. Thanks for your help!

If you live around the San Jose are, there's a post for pair leopard tortoise on kingsnake.com. The seller is wiling to sell the 6 years old female alone and she's blonde. Check it out. I was inquiring it but he doesn't do shipping and I couldn't find anyone from SJ to assist me. Good luck!

turtles1957

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lil' Tortie said:
turtles1957 said:

If you live around the San Jose are, there's a post for pair leopard tortoise on kingsnake.com. The seller is wiling to sell the 6 years old female alone and she's blonde. Check it out. I was inquiring it but he doesn't do shipping and I couldn't find anyone from SJ to assist me. Good luck!

Thanks for the heads up...I emailed his a few weeks ago and got the same story...THANKS!

turtles1957

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for the help....we've had our new gal, Keele for two days now. We'll take her to the vet soon and keep you posred...THANKS everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.