Seeking advice for ideal winter setup for Russian tortoise

Leroy's_homeboy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SE Wisconsin
Hello everyone :)

I've read many posts on this forum about the quality of Mega-Ray products. I've been looking for a while now and came across these today

Mega-Ray 100 Watt Self-Ballasted Flood UVB Lamp$46.95

http://www.reptileuv.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_67&products_id=181

Mega-Ray® Metal Halide UVB EB Kit$139.95

http://www.reptileuv.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69&products_id=189

The Metal Halide kit for $139.95 is currently sold out. The question I have on this particular product; is it worth the wait & the money? While the cost doesn't concern me, I don't want to buy something that in the end is basically the same as the cheaper alternatives.

My usual winter setup:
-Powersun UV Mercury Vapor bulb
-ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5HO mounted 24" above enclosure (these are more to simulate summertime lighting)

I just want to make sure Leroy has the best I can give him. What are everyone's thoughts on quality of bulbs?

Sorry about asking another lighting question. I have adequate knowledge as to what a tortoise needs but I know that there are so many members here that have way more experience than I do :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I usually buy the Zoo Med Powersun, but that's just because I shop Amazon and the Zoo Med bulb is usually what comes up first. I wouldn't buy the metal halide kit. My tortoises have been getting by with just the Powersun for many winters now. Last winter I wanted to try a tube-type UVB bulb, so I bought 3 T-5 tubes with reflectors. I must say, these lights provide a LOT of bright light, and the tortoises did just fine under them last winter. In fact, they were so bright, I had to raise them up a bit. In these three habitats I got by with using a regular 100 watt incandescent bulb for heat.

Leroy's_homeboy

5 Year Member
SE Wisconsin
I experienced the same thing with the T-5's, that's why mine our mounted so high as well. So basically powersun is just as good as mega-ray, right?

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
The t-5s I have come in usual strength and I have t-5s that are HO. meaning high output. They are allot brighter

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Does the ho effect strength of uv output at all?

tryme

5 Year Member
London
Arcardia d3 mvb produces higher levels of uvb and is cheaper than powersun

Leroy's_homeboy

5 Year Member
SE Wisconsin