Self worm/parasite-check advice?

Location (City and/or State)
Southeast USA
I am trying to save money, but I will still have to take my tortoise to the vet. He is a Russian Tortoise and is eating well. Standard feces, and urine, according to the vet. I just want to find tips on parasite check. He is very active, and I've seen a picture of feces with worms from a Russian Tort. Is that the only way to know without checking?

Sorry for my cheap laziness :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have had my oldest tort, a leopard since 2011 and he and my others have not gone to a vet yet. If your tortoise is eating, drinking, pooping, peeing, gaining weight, grow and active, there is no reason for a vet visit. If they eat and still lose weight, and continue to lose weight for a few days, then a parasite check might be needed. Btw, raw pumpkin, not from a can, although it can be used, but not as good for them as a fresh pumpkin, is a natural dewormer. Feed every part of it. Grind the seeds if your tort is small

Southeast USA
Thank you! The reason I ask is that it's time for my biyearly check (self-mandatory) and I wanted to save money ;P Anyway, thanks, my tort is healthy, hydrated, and 99+ more.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Only adult worms that are dead or dying would be found in poop. The exception would be if a tortoise had an enormous load of parasites.
Other wise all that gets passed in poop are worm eggs. So if in fact, your tortoise has worms...And lots of them do and are quite fine with some. It would be hard to know with the naked eye.
I was obsessed with them at one point. I had not quarantined a new tortoise and managed to give my other seven worms! I purchased a high powered microscope and researched the eggs online and I was looking at every piece of poop I could find from every tortoise.
I had used Panacur as a dewormer. It worked.
And I found out from folks here that some worms are not a big deal.
Now I own a useless high powered microscope...........

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I am trying to save money, but I will still have to take my tortoise to the vet. He is a Russian Tortoise and is eating well. Standard feces, and urine, according to the vet. I just want to find tips on parasite check. He is very active, and I've seen a picture of feces with worms from a Russian Tort. Is that the only way to know without checking?

Sorry for my cheap laziness :(

What some may think of as cheep laziness, may be seen by other (myself) as stepping up your game. Good job.

This book https://www.amazon.com/dp/1882770218/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 is simple and straightforward. I just noticed a 2nd edition, it might be better?

You can also use google scholar and find more or less easy-ish vet written literature on the efficacy of a few different drugs as well as their safety.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What a vet looks for in the stool sample are parasite eggs. Unless the tortoise has a pretty bad load of parasites, you won't see the worms in the stool.