Parasites

RainsOn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE OK
Recently had my Russian tort to vet. Had to mail in fecal sample. Came back that Digger has a parasite - not worms - but, a parasite the vet wants to give him medicine for. Says I need to bring him back for a dose. Don't remember what the vet called this parasite.
QUESTION: What do they do in the wild? I am not keen on drugs for my tort. Is it necessary he gets the med? Is there something I can do to rid him without meds? Is there something I can do to avoid this situation in the future?

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
My Russian has only ever had worms that were treated with oral worming medicine. I’m curious to hear what parasite requires a in-office treatment...

jsheffield

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Westmoreland, NH
My impression is that nearly all torts carry some degree of parasite load in their guts for most of their lives, and so long as the parasite populations don't explode into huge numbers it's not really a problem.

I think if your tortoise is eating and drinking and moving around and looks healthy and not dropping weight, I wouldn't expose them to vets who may not know much about torts....

Jamie

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My impression is that nearly all torts carry some degree of parasite load in their guts for most of their lives, and so long as the parasite populations don't explode into huge numbers it's not really a problem.

I think if your tortoise is eating and drinking and moving around and looks healthy and not dropping weight, I wouldn't expose them to vets who may not know much about torts....

Jamie
Agreed
Tortoises with parasites are actually pretty common

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Thanks, puts my mind at ease. I read up a bit on this and find that Zeropilot is in agreement with my book on Russians. Digger seems just fine by all intents and purposes. To be on the safe side, I am going to empty the terrarium and replace with new bark and sprinkle in some diatamacious earth (sp?). He gets regular soaks and nothing irregular there. For now, we are going to ignore this issue and remain alert for symptoms.

This vet is new for us but he seemed knowledgeable and did have other amphibians in his waiting room.. A "tech" called with the news and was supposed to get back to me about mailing meds. He didn't get back to me. I figure it can't be too serious.