Settling in

rachelraines

Location (City and/or State)
ALABAMA
So I replaced all of Bernie’s substrate and his outdoor enclosure with coco coir I put him in there today and sat on the back porch… I’m not kidding. When I say the entire time all he did was try to escape. I felt like he was in distress trying to get out of the enclosure. He can’t see past it or anything. He actually flipped himself over twice, trying to crawl up the walls. It was 84° outside with a slight overcast.!! he had water plants food and a place to hide!! The only place he truly seems content is in his enclosure far away from me!! HAHA! Any ideas or thoughts?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, so is he in the yard enclosure or on the back porch in an enclosure?
Being outside they might get the sense of oh, I'm back in the wild and can go where I want. Once he gets the hint that the four sides are his limit, he'll probably settle down
They usually like to investigate all areas in a new or changed enclosure.

rachelraines

ALABAMA
Okay, so is he in the yard enclosure or on the back porch in an enclosure?
Being outside they might get the sense of oh, I'm back in the wild and can go where I want. Once he gets the hint that the four sides are his limit, he'll probably settle down
They usually like to investigate all areas in a new or changed enclosure.
It’s a raised bed (with legs) outdoor enclosure until I can get his real outdoor enclosure ant free. This photo was before I changed the substrate IMG_7802.jpeg

rachelraines

ALABAMA
What plants do you have in your enclosure?Just curious!
To be completely honest I can not remember the names- I just looked on the tortoise table while at the plant shop to make sure they were safe! One is a type of grass, I believe the other is a succulent, and I can’t remember what the top left plant is!