Severely broken shell!!!

eadcbest

Hello all,

I have a very small leopard tortoise which I do not think is much more than 8 months old, it was found on a building site a couple of months ago and brought to us to look after. She was doing very well living here but we are currently looking after a friend's puppy who picked her out of her pen and carried her off and started chewing. There are now two cracks in her shell, one worse than the other but they are both still seeping and the incident happened the day before yesterday evening.

I live in the Kenya and the closest vet is more than an hour away, and I do not think he has ever dealt with a tortoise before. It should however be possible for me to get some vetenary supplies delivered if needed. Any recommendations would be very much appreciated!!!

I have attached photos, the view from the top you can not see the puncture mark very well, it is small but does seem to have pierced the shell all the way through. The view from the bottom is the most worrying, there is a bit of flesh hanging out between the thinnest part of the crack and it is still bleeding and damp.

We used some disinfectant spray this morning to try to remove all the dirt, would it still be a good idea to give her warm water baths even though the shell is cracked on the bottom? Should I use some tape to try to keep the shell together? She is living in a cardboard box at the moment well out of the reach of dogs!
IMG_5648-2.JPG IMG_5647.JPG IMG_5649.JPG

eadcbest

@Yvonne G I have read on various threads that you are probably the one to talk to, your help would be very much appreciated!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Turtles and tortoises can recover from what looks like a very life-threatening shell calamity. Your baby will need some antibiotics, and while you're at it, maybe the vet can wire the two pieces together so they don't move. We don't use glue or fiberglass anymore, as sealing the shell shut locks in germs and may cause infection.

Print this out and take it to your vet:

http://www.asianturtlenetwork.org/library/useful_resources/Easy_shell_repair_03_06.pdf

It is quite ok to sit the tortoise in warm water to help flush out the wound and hydrate the baby.

Last edited:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your still beautiful leopard.
i think stress can also be a factor with this kind of injury so perhaps give the tortoise lots of time alone and darkness to help it recover.

eadcbest

Hello all, I am very sorry and sad to announce that our little tuppence (the tortoise) passed away during the night yesterday. She did not eat at all and I believe she may have had an infection in her cut as it did not stop seeping. Such sad and terrible news! Thank you all for your help and advice.