Sex in the waterdish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Normally when I hear my tortoises breeding, I tend to walk softly away and give them privacy. I will come back later and do the feeding in a quiet non-intrusive way.

However after several days of hearing activity in this enclosure, I got snoopy and peaked in. Please excuse the very dirty and well used condition of their water (I can only imagine they had heard about having dirty sex and thought that meant waiting till everybody had chosen the same day to relieve themselves in the water:().

When I first peaked in, he was trying to breed her, but by the time I got back with a camera, things had cooled down and he was leaving. Now catching them like this on one day would have been one thing, but the next two days I heard, then looked and found them together once more in the water. (Just cleaner water. :p:rolleyes::D) I doubt he actually succeeded in their, but I found it strange they ended up in the water dish atleast three days in a row.

049.jpg

Now I realize Homes love their water, but really! Question is are the rest of you seeing this?

As a side note and sorry no pictures taken, I had another pair outside ending up in the water breeding. The male had started chasing her earlier in another part of the enclosure. She stopped in the water and allowed him to breed her. On that pair it looked like the male could have done the deed. :cool:

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
My guess is it's easier to clean up afterward.

Did you offer them a cigarette?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
HA HA HA HA.... Yes, mine have done this too. Usually though it is when the female is eating, the male thinks she is all distracted and tries to sneak a breeding in without her noticing ;)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
kyryah said:
HA HA HA HA.... Yes, mine have done this too. Usually though it is when the female is eating, the male thinks she is all distracted and tries to sneak a breeding in without her noticing ;)

My hingeback females have never tried the eating during breeding that I have noticed...now those box turtles however...:rolleyes::D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
LOL! I opened the door to the Box turtle pen a couple nights ago, at dusk. Right inside the door Mika and Mikhail were going at it. They both froze, and I cracked up laughing because it was like, "Uh-oh, BUSTED!!!"

The funny things these little shelled terrors do....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Maybe we can make a song out of it, sung to the tune of " Love in an elevator"?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
terracolson said:
to much.. I wish i had breeding torts....

:D Be careful what you wish for. :D Mine like to get going when I have company, such as one memorable Thanksgiving with an older couple of relatives (from the age where married couples had seperate beds and sex was not to be talked about). :D They are quite vocal and the noise is clear and loud. Did I mention my children were around and eager to share their knowledge of what was happening (ie they simply would not shut up...both the kids and the tortoises.:rolleyes:)

Plus the noise in the house can get on your nerves. I don't mind it outside.

Stephanie Logan said:
Did you offer them a cigarette?

Nahhh, we have a nonsmoking house. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.