Sexing help

Adam S

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm looking a purchasing 3 adult Elongateds but am having trouble sexing this one animal. Both pics are the same tort but tail looks different in both.
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 29

Adam S

5 Year Member
My friend has adult females and they basically have just stubs for tails this one is longer. I agree with Sarah and it looks female just looking for more confirmation to ease my mind.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
I admit, this one has more of a tail than females often do.

This is the traditional 'tiny tail' female plastron ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485773582.769115.jpg

This is a short tailed male plastron
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485773608.809625.jpg

The tail length and anal scutes of this male are admittedly similar to yours. I am more used to seeing long, thick male tales, however, but there is a range. I don't find anal scutes to be the most reliable sex indicator, but yours are somewhat male-like (but wider than many male Vs). Both males and females have the horny tubercle at the tips of their tails, although it is more pronounced in males.

Mature males should have the traditional concave plastron, however, which I don't see in your photo (but there are exceptions to this too if growth conditions aren't ideal). Females have longer, curved posterior claws than males, but again, that is an iffy sign.

I feel this could be an immature male, now that I am thinking more. Mine are big flashers, so they don't keep their sex hidden. How large is this tortoise? It looked quite big in the photo to me, but it could be a perspective thing.

Last edited:

Adam S

5 Year Member
Thanks for your help. Still not sure myself. It's a tough one.