Status
Not open for further replies.

chikken

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
t_mclellan said:
Its more a size thing than age.

Just to be a pain and ask, what's about the size where it's possible to tell? I pretty much just got a hatchling, so it's obviously WAY too small to sex, but I figure some day in the far far future it'll hit the size threshold where it's large enough to tell. :D I was always just figuring I'd have to wait 5+ years.

chikken

5 Year Member
CT
There's really no ballpark figure?

chikken

5 Year Member
CT
t_mclellan said:
What kind of tortoise are we talking about?

A Hermann's, just like the (original poster) Danny was talking about... let's say... Eastern Hermann's to narrow it even more. :)

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
I seem to have the worst case of "CRS" in recorded history!
When I read the OP I had forgotten it mentioned Hermanns by the time I reached the end, & the simple fact that its in the Hermanns section should have been a hint!

I'm not a real Hermanns expert. That said, I think they syart showing dimorphism at about 5" to 7". The larger the animal the easier they are to sex.

Here are a couple pages that might help.

http://www.hermann-tortoise.co.uk/care sheets/care_sheets.htm

http://www.chelonia.org/sexing/sexing_Testudo_hermanni.htm

chikken

5 Year Member
CT
Thanks you! (And, it happens to the best of us, no worries!)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Many male Hermann's can accurately be sexed by about 3" SCL. Females take longer to determine 100%. Basically males usually develop much sooner than females. Basically you can figure out which ones probably aren't females easier than you can determine which ones are.

A Hermann's that is 7-8 years old should be fairly easy to tell since it should be 5" or more in size by now.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Hi i have a 1 yr old Eastern Herman I have noticed Shelby carrys the Tail to the Side so i am guessing that mean he's Male, am i right or do females do this now and again too?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Tracy Gould said:
Hi i have a 1 yr old Eastern Herman I have noticed Shelby carrys the Tail to the Side so i am guessing that mean he's Male, am i right or do females do this now and again too?

The tail being to the side doesn't really carry much accuracy as far as determining male or female, especially at such a young age and assumed small size. Larger size males and females tails are usually to the side. The main clue to determining gender in smaller Hermann's tortoises the size and shape of the tail. As they develop a male will usually become obvious by what appears to be the exaggerated size of the tail compared to it's body. Females not only develop later and at a larger body size but occasionally there is a male that simply doesn't have an obviously large tail.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
Tracy Gould said:

The tail being to the side doesn't really carry much accuracy as far as determining male or female, especially at such a young age and assumed small size. Larger size males and females tails are usually to the side. The main clue to determining gender in smaller Hermann's tortoises the size and shape of the tail. As they develop a male will usually become obvious by what appears to be the exaggerated size of the tail compared to it's body. Females not only develop later and at a larger body size but occasionally there is a male that simply doesn't have an obviously large tail.

O right thanks, I had read that males carry to the side so i thought i had sussed it lol. Does the Concave Pastronform when they are older as Shelby is flat at the moment? Thanks for your help :D

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I know this forum is great with sexing when you post pics and there is a great deal of knowledge on this site too. I agree, it's not so much age, but size of the tort and the size to which you can tell the sex differs depending on torts.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
"Does the Concave Pastronform when they are older as Shelby is flat at the moment?"

Plastron concavity will usually develop as a male Hermann's reaches full sexual maturity size, around 4" and up, depending upon individual. A concave plastron is not always well pronounced in Hermann's as it is in some other species such as Marginateds and Ibera.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
"Does the Concave Pastronform when they are older as Shelby is flat at the moment?"

Plastron concavity will usually develop as a male Hermann's reaches full sexual maturity size, around 4" and up, depending upon individual. A concave plastron is not always well pronounced in Hermann's as it is in some other species such as Marginateds and Ibera.

Ok, it looks like its a waiting game lol thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.