Id. this tortoise PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tats-N-Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Roscoe, IL
We are having problems identifying and sexing our new tortoise, hopefully you experts can help us out. We were told it is a Russian, but not given an age. The tortoise is about 5 inches and very active.

Attachments

• 101_2778.JPG
    101_2778.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 144
  • 101_2780.JPG
    101_2780.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 151
  • 101_2781.JPG
    101_2781.JPG
    446.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 101_2782.JPG
    101_2782.JPG
    513.6 KB · Views: 123

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not good at I.D.ing the Mediterranean species of tortoise, however, I'm guessing this one is a Hermann's tortoise. The tail pictures are blurry, but it looks like there may be a sore on the cloaca? I'm thinking that male tails are bigger and fatter than your tortoise's tail, so maybe a female.

Tats-N-Torts

5 Year Member
Roscoe, IL
thanks. i knew it was not a russian, and had a feeling it may be a hermamms, but was uncertain.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Definitely a female Hermann's. Not sure on subspecies, but definitely not testudo hermanni hercegovinensis, I am thinking it may be testudo hermanni hermanni

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
FLINTUS said:
GBtortoises said:
It's a female Eastern Hermanns, Testudo hermanni boettgeri
Ok, wasn't sure. The markings definitely look THB but the darker colour made me think THH
This tortoise is darker (more contrasting coloration) because it has most likely been raised almost if not exclusively indoors. Indoor lighting has that effect on tortoises. That is one reason why color, contrast and pattern are not good primary identifying features-because they can vary greatly. Not only can it vary from captive to wild animals but also within captive and wild examples. Color, contrast and pattern have to be considered in conjunction with scute structure, shell shape, head and leg features (scale structure & shape) and more in order positively identify a species. Most aren't too difficult. The major exception being the Middle Eastern and North African Greek subspecies.

Tats-N-Torts

5 Year Member
Roscoe, IL
well after taking the hermanns out the tub for it's soak, it was made clearly apparant that it is a male. as i lifted him to dry him off his full penis was erected out... ewww, but now we know for sure lol

Status
Not open for further replies.