She hates water

Andy7782

Location (City and/or State)
Woking surrey
Hello boys and girls
I have a hermanns who is 1 and a half and she hates bath time. Constantly tries to get out of it and never goes near the water bowl in her table.
Is this normal?
I have varied the temps of the water and added more and less and she still wants out.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Hello boys and girls
I have a hermanns who is 1 and a half and she hates bath time. Constantly tries to get out of it and never goes near the water bowl in her table.
Is this normal?
I have varied the temps of the water and added more and less and she still wants out.
How old is your tort and how long have you had it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So like it some don't. Some even like it for a short time then wants out.
It's too bad for those that don't like it. It's good for them so continue soaking. Specially for those that are hardly ever seen drinking on their own.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Hello boys and girls
Is this normal?
Hi there, I ran into the same problem you're encountering right now. My sulcata hated soaking, I got a lot of really good advice from the members on here. One of the things that I was advised to try, was soaking first thing in the morning. Because they're a little less active, and their bodies aren't quite up to temp yet. I took that advice, soak him in the morning and I place his tub of water underneath the heat light so he can bask as he soaks. That really seemed to help my case, and I hope it helps you.

Bambam1989

East Texas
She is 1 and a half and we have had her about a month
Since you have only had her a month I would continue your soaks with the positive thought that she could still be getting used to it. Soaks are always good even if your tort doesn't think so. When they don't like it and try to climb out, they are getting a work out which is great for their digestion. When they do like it, it is a nice relaxing time.
Keep at the soaks, even if your tort never learns to like them.

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New York, New York
My Hermann is 9 months old and HATES bathing. I rarely ever see him drink from his water bowl, so it's definitely crucial to keep soaking him if you notice that behavior, too. I'm currently experimenting with a much larger bath so that my tortoise has more room to walk around while soaking, and so far I've seen a little improvement.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello boys and girls
Is this normal?

Trying to climb out is normal. It is also goo exercise for our captive tortoise in their relatively small indoor enclosures. All that movement also helps keep things moving in their GI tract.

Bottom line: Soaking does not harm your tortoise. Dehydration does. Keep doing it. Most of them get used to it in time, and they benefit from it whether they seem to enjoy it or not.