Shedding/Overfeeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammiesturds

5 Year Member
Hey!
I'm just trying to see if anyone knows if my turtle is just about to shed his shell or if it's an infection/overfeeding. A month ago squirt was a quarter size, now he's much bigger and his shell looks like this...ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367201958.604080.jpg
If it looks normal to you guys I'm probably just over thinking things. Lol I'm new to turtles! Also could you guys tell me how often to feed. I feed twice a day in a spare tank all separate from one another. In the morning they get pellets and dried shrimp. At night it's more pellets and calcium powder covered mealworms. I know I should be adding fruits and veggies along with vitamin supplement but they won't eat the stuff that's good for them lol
Thanks in advance guys :)

Last edited by a moderator:

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Good luck and here's a bump to put you back on the new threads list.

I think you have a RES and from what I remember as they get larger their diet becomes more leafy vegetables. Might try adding some duckweed to the tank. It will be consumed along with the pellets.

I don't see a problem with his shell; but, yes you are most likely over feeding. Do you have weights for his growth changes?

I'm not an expert so stay tuned for more experienced advisors.

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, CA
You could be over feeding, I always feed my water turtles once a day. Is he getting fat? When he tucks in is there fatty looking flesh sticking out around his head and legs? The way red ears grow is as the scutes grow they'll shed the old one.

Sammiesturds

5 Year Member
He is slightly cubby but not to bad. He has also got super aggressive so I think I may need to rehome my other turtles. He is always hungry!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Shedding/Overfeeding

Sammiesturds said:
He is slightly cubby but not to bad. He has also got super aggressive so I think I may need to rehome my other turtles. He is always hungry!

Just set him up in his own pen. Don't rehome your turtles.

Status
Not open for further replies.