Shedding...?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
So, my 1year old sulcata has some very rough skin. I've even noticed that his nose looks kinda cracked. At first I thought he was shedding, but I'm honestly not too sure. His enclosure doesn't hold humidity that well, but we are currently building a huge covered enclosure that will be very humid, and I soak him 5 times a week or so. Is his skin really bad, or is it just shedding?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1503074907.635469.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1503074930.925010.jpg

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I guess you should make sure about his humidity level and that all the other concerns - diet, temperature etc., are spot-on. Also that he gets the soaks as often as he is supposed to as he grows.

Bee62

Germany
The skin of your tort is not the problem, but his shell. He has the beginning of pyramiding and you must urgent increase humidity as you`ve already said.
But please don`t forget the warmth day and night so your tort will not get sick.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
His dry rough skin and ridgy shell are indicative of his enclosure being not humid enough. Most of us here like to keep our youngsters at least at 80% ambient humidity inside the enclosure and unless you live in South American jungle and keep your tort outside there is typically no way to keep them that humid. Unless the top of your enclosure is covered. I kept my babies in planted terrarium with covered and insulated top to keep their microclimate from mixing with the room air, and I used Reptifogger and loved it! Some people like using room humidifiers, and others just dump water in the substrate in corners of their enclosures plus spray the whole thing every day. That never worked for me for some reason, but my Reptifogger was awesome. Little pricey but to me it was worth every penny. Another commonly seen problem is temp/humidity measuring devices. In creating small microclimate like that inside your house plus with all the lamps there, there is really no way to get an idea of what things are like for your baby tort unless you have several monitors positioned at substrate level in at least 5 corners of the enclosure plus probes inside the hides. You can use just cheap digital ones from Walmart, they are not the best but sitting in few spots of the enclosure will definitely help you know how you are doing with creating perfect environment for your baby tort

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
The skin of your tort is not the problem, but his shell. He has the beginning of pyramiding and you must urgent increase humidity as you`ve already said.
But please don`t forget the warmth day and night so your tort will not get sick.
Don't worry about the heat, it never goes below 82! And for the humidity, I'm working on a large, very humid enclosure :)