Shedding??

Frogg.Queen

Location (City and/or State)
Oahu, HI
Just a few minutes ago, I was petting my adult female RF's head (since she enjoys the affection and let's me pet or scratch her head).
Everything seemed normal... until a piece of scale seemed to chip off randomly from my scratching?
At first I thought it was the hardened dirt she has on her head being chipped off (she's lived outside her whole life), but just looking at it weirds ne out and makes me afraid that I may have hurt her or something??
It's really a minor thing, I think this would be a life or death situation for her, but does anyone know what's up? Is she shedding? Is it just a chipped layer of dirt??
I'll include a photo;ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1503797431.077123.jpg
It's hard to tell, but in the middle of her head is a really light-yellow colored spot, the subject of matter...

phebe121

Sometimes they shed .head looks a little dry give a couple soaks should help

Frogg.Queen

Oahu, HI
head looks a bit dry - what humidity do you have in her enclosure?

I keep her along with my other two torts outside. The humidity in my area is always stated to be around 70% according to my weather app, tho the area I live in hardly gets a lot of rain and is usually really hot and dusty.
I hose my tortoises on a mist setting every day tho, just so they aren’t too dry. :,)

Frogg.Queen

Oahu, HI
An update on the tortoise:
A few other flakes of what seems to be shedding skin flaked off, they were small tho and it’s only seemed to happen twice. There is a small line of peeling clear skin on her neck (tho hardly noticeable).
I think it’s safe to conclude that she’s shedding, since she seems to be in no pain and is eating and being active very normally.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Shedding is normal. Torts can look downright tatty at times. It needs no potions or treatment. It will rub off naturally as your tort goes about its business.

Regular soaks are good practice even for those outdoors